Some R154 Transmission Rebuild In Progress Pictures

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
getting bumped once again lol,

I'm about to purchase the r154 rebuild kit from MDC as one of the bearings in my gearbox is shot, in regaurds to the thrust washer, I was under the impression it was only likely to shatter in large HP applications or if the operator adopts a "Vin Dieselesque" shifting technique from first to second? Is either of those statements true? If so, at what power level will there start to be a risk?

I'll replace the washer when the gearbox is apart, but getting a new one machined up, then treated sounds expensive and could cause more headaches than its worth.

Is it worth just getting some strengthening treatments done to a stock washer? Or due to it being sintered is it always going to be inherently brittle?

One final thing, and not really related to rebuilding the gearbox, but what oil do you guys run? I've been using redline light weight shockproof (Yes i know it's not for syncro engagement boxes) and god damn it is good. Will using alternative gear oil/lubricants help prevent washer failure?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
redline MT-90 is usually recommended

IJ: so maybe just a part made like the stock part out of a billet piece would be stronger?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
^ maybe..

there might be an alloy that could be machined that may be up to snuff but

who's to say, maybe forging a new peice is the way and not machining>?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Bump... Just looking to see if there're any updates with the rebuilds some of ya'll did in 2006. Below are some links/resources/info I am using for mine. I am at the point of pressing things off/on.

For those who replaced their synchros, my new ones are not marked/labeled, so I am assuming that the 3 smaller ones are the same size and the 2 larger ones are also the same size. Does this mean that I can just use them where needed, or is there some obvious way to tell which should be used for each specific gear?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/c-drivetrainbrakes.php

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572603

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Putting things back together and forgot to pick up some "Seal packing Part No.08826-00090, THREE BOND 1281 or equivalent." TRSM - Page # MT-83 Step 29.

I do have some of the the regular Toyota black seal packing, part no. 00295-00103. Tho I trust this may work, I'd rather use the "off the shelf" red-colored equivalent. Any recommendations for something equivalent, but can be found at a local auto parts store?

Driving to nearest Toyota dealership will take time I do not have much-of this weekend (easily 90 minutes round trip).

THANKS!

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
looks like it comes w/a new pin and does not have the parallel grooves on both faces, like the stock one does. U anm finding it difficult to slide the washer fully down... the pin seems to be VERY tightfitting. TRSM doesn't say anything about putting strong pressure on it to fully seat.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
NokaoiMK3;1676523 said:
So what is the difference between the OE 1st gear thrust washer and the "upgraded" Marlin Crawler 1st gear thrust washer?

"Marlin Crawler R154 Thrust Washer : This is the newest version! It was determined through extensive testing that removing the grooves would increase the strength and reliability of the thrust washer!The oil groves were removed because there are already oil groves on the mating surfaces of the gears for the thrust washer, and double groves are not used in any other vehicle application. This thrust washer is intended for R series transmissions used for racing or competition with lots of horsepower."

- Doing the Marlin Crawler R154 upgrade with... :
#Marlin Crawler R154 Thrust Washer
#Marlin Chromoly Steel Bearing Retainer for R154
#Marlin Crawler Billet Shift Fork for R154

- Also,a good idea is to cryo treat these parts...

- Correctly rebuilt R154 Transmission,and use of proper trans fluid (Redline MT90 Manual transmission fluid)...

- And last, some weight reduction of the car (a good 350-400 lbs) will help a lot on the trans itself...

Will give us a strong & solid R154 Trans that could 'manage' big horsepower levels,like a 1000 HP Supra
Then it should be close to the Getrag V160/V161 level..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Doesn't have the grooves (doesn't need thims since the other parts that they're up against have grooves already) and is also made of a less brittle metal (stock is sintered metal, very very hard, but brittle)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Looks like I'll get a chance to get the right seal packing from Toyota... Need to order a couple of C-clips after all. Gonna put as far together as I can tomorrow (while still being able to install the new parts when they come in). May find more stuff that needs replacing and hoping to swap the trannys next weekend.

For those following the thread... this is the point when you know you should have ordered extra c-clips (various thicknesses), get the sealant, and completed other set-up tasks that shoulda been done before you started.

boost infection

Permanently Banned
Jun 29, 2010
Upstate NY
SupraClaou;1676643 said:
- Doing the Marlin Crawler R154 upgrade with... :
#Marlin Crawler R154 Thrust Washer
#Marlin Chromoly Steel Bearing Retainer for R154
#Marlin Crawler Billet Shift Fork for R154

- Also,a good idea is to cryo treat these parts...

Just the Marlin Crawler parts or the gears and syncros also?

Are their any differences in the Marlin Crawler rebuild kit or any other rebuild kiy? (different bearing,syncros,etc....)

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have rebuilt so many that I just throw everything into a box, except the locking pins since they can get lost easily, and can reassemble without any problems. Thing is, when I did it the first time, I spent hours looking at the TSRM.

Don't forget the aluminum paint. The orange sealant is the correct one for the gearbox as well.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
boost infection;1676742 said:
Just the Marlin Crawler parts or the gears and syncros also?

Are their any differences in the Marlin Crawler rebuild kit or any other rebuild kiy? (different bearing,syncros,etc....)

No need to replace the gears and syncros if the stock ones are in good condition...only those three MC parts.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It does make sense not to replace them if they are "good," but when go in there are not replace them. It only makes sense to do that to have a "full" rebuild.

Think of it this way, you put in the new Marlin Crawler parts and then do a few highway pulls and your car starts to pop out a gear, you open up the gearbox and find a synchro to go bad, you will want to punch yourself for not replacing it the first time.

Double down time makes no sense.