SOGI mod, cut and weld thread or tap new shift stick?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Jeff Lange said:
I'm pretty sure the thread is 12x1.5 not 1.25

Sorry you have been missinformed it is 12mm X 1.25 pitch!
it is the same for the toyota trucks celica supras etc..

Best thing is cut weld tip because the shaft diameter is a little larger the the 12mm thread size and would take a little grinding but there is a piece pressed onto it where the rubber sets etc I just welded mine together to save time and extra work.

A verry good shift knob and threaded at that is the Team Voodoo miata club shifters they sell titanium steel polished brush etc great price $35-$45 and threaded just right here is the link http://www.thompson-automotive.com/voodoo.html In my proffesional race opinion they provide perfect counter weight and are perfect diameter to palm in the hand! they are threaded so unlike 95%+ of the aftermarket knobs they dont fall off cuz crappy set screws

With the sogi mod + the team voodoo i hit 100% of my shift clean easy because the shift knob does the work with the weight.

Some pics of there varrious knobs make sure to let them know its toyota threaded also!
Voodoo_knob_polished_croppedtn_.jpg

tn_New_VK_shots_007.jpg

Voodoo_knob_smooth_croppedtn_.jpg

Voodoo_knob_Pearl_cropped2tn_.jpg

tn_Spun_VK-109.jpg

The best knobs i have found so far!!!!
Unless you can find the verry rare metal TRD shift knob instead of the crappy leather one that falls apart after a while.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Jeff, are you positive? Toyota nuts and bolts typically follow Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS):

Shank Diameter (mm)....Bolt Head Size (mm)....Thread Pitch
5...............................8................. .............0.8
6...............................10................ ............1.0
8...............................12................ ............1.0
10..............................14................ ............1.25
14..............................19................ ............1.5
16..............................22................ ............1.5

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Typically, yes, in fact, I don't think I've ever seen anything on a Toyota that is 12x1.5, other than the shift knob, and the lug nuts, which are both 12x1.5, which is what Matt was indicating there with the lug nut on the shifter.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Damned if I can find the upper piece that came off my car. I know it's around here somewhere. Fwiw I used a set screw mounted knob. A leather Momo I believe. Considering I have a $3K tig welder I must've been lazy back then. Been on there 10 years and never loosened. The key is dimpling the lever, using the proper type of set screw, and a thread locker.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The whole basis of my thought was that I'd seen people put lug nuts on for shifters, but I guess they're getting them from other cars. I knew the thread pitch of those for sure, but not of the shifter.

In any case, 12x1.25 it is.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Hey Jeff, while you're here a question. After 20 years something on my car finally broke. Put my fat ass in it the other day and the driver's rear seat bottom collapsed. Turns out the nut the power leadscrew runs through fractured at the midpoint. Looks to be a delrin or nylon piece. Since I don't see it in the online EPC I'm assuming it's not obtainable? I can machine a new one up but it'd be a lot less time to buy one.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
No, sorry. It's the nut on the short horizontal lead screw that drives the rear of the seat cushion up and down. It's the only nut associated with that function. White cylindrical part about 1.5 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter with the lead screw running through the center. It mounts in a bracket having a pair of circular holes with the lead screw running between them. The bracket is what drives the rear of the cushion (seat bottom) up and down.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
jetjock said:
No, sorry. It's the nut on the short horizontal lead screw that drives the rear seat cushion up and down. It's the only nut associated with that function. White cylindrical part about 1.5 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter with the lead screw running through the center. It mounts in a bracket having a pair of circular holes with the lead screw running between them. The bracket is what drives the rear of the cushion (seat bottom) up and down.

It sounds like the part I was looking at.

72443-14010 is the part number. Pretty sure that's what you need.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Gracias Jeff, you've save me from sweating over a hot lathe. I'll amble on down (I'm told that's what old guys are supposed to do, amble) to the dealer and verify it now that I know it can be had.

Cryo: you try being strapped into a seat day after day while eating crap food and then get back to me ;)