So I'm supposed to be heading to Calculus right now...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I'll drink to that...(a glass of water btw. no alochol for me). Took me 2 times. As well as many of the other ME students in the class. It didn't help that it was the first time the teacher had taught the class. His thick accent didn't help either.

Shit is crazy, son!!

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I took calc back in high school (both differential and integral) and didn't have a problem. I had a great teacher though. The junior level math classes have been my favorite in college for the most part, and not really any harder than calc, just different. Linear Algebra (the non-proof parts), Numerical Analysis, and Probability were some of the best classes I've had.

I'm in computer science and have yet to use calculus out of school (currently on my second 6-month internship, I'll graduate after fall term). I think what I liked most about calculus is that it improves your understanding of all other math and math-related subjects.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah. they are. I'm only 2nd year, at SFCC (heading to UF after this year) so no engineering classes thus far. All Calc 1/2/3 DiffEQ Chem1/2 Phys 1/2 with Calc.

I can't wait to actually get into some of the real engineering classes. I do better when I'm actually building shit. I can see where integrals involving work can be helpful in the real world, but really - when the hell will I need to integrate ln(x-4)*arctan(x^4) and not have a computer to do it?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Doward said:
I can see where integrals involving work can be helpful in the real world, but really - when the hell will I need to integrate ln(x-4)*arctan(x^4) and not have a computer to do it?
I agree. But someone has to write the software your computer will use to evaluate that integral, and obviously that person better know how to integrate. Though I doubt such software would go untested/reviewed/etc. :icon_razz

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
OneJoeZee said:
Since we're talking about engineering classes that suck, has anyone taken an engineering circuits class?

That class was pretty damn hard as well if I do say so myself... Even worse than calc 2.

really? wow circuits was a lot of work for me but the way the class was set up, if you did the work you would understand what you were doing:)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprajjang said:
really? wow circuits was a lot of work for me but the way the class was set up, if you did the work you would understand what you were doing:)

My teacher just wasn't very good at teaching. I had to go to the engineering tutoring sessions but even that wasn't enough since I wasn't getting any good foundations of the concept in class.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
annoyingrob said:
Speaking of Calculus, how many people know what a wronskian is :)
I do. Or mostly do. I haven't used it since my last class that had it. (Linear Algebra II) It's definitely useful when you're dealing with multiple equations. Yes Doward, you'll see it in DiffEQs. I liked my differential equations class, but then I had a really cool prof. :)

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
I hated my two terms of electronics classes. (It's the physics-major equivalent of circuits, since all we did was do theory on them during lecture and then spend six hours a week - or more - building them in the lab.) My prof couldn't teach, the TA was lazy and biased against girls, and he introduced us to complex notation before we'd done much with it in other classes. I spent upwards of 20 hours a week on those classes, between doing stuff in the lab and writing up reports. This would be why people back off when they see my expression after they mention circuits. *wink*

Calculus isn't bad once you get a lot of experience with it. The theory sucks; the application is worthwhile. Well, as long as you don't get a bunch of square roots in the denominator of a multi-dimensional integral, that is. Those are cruel.

Differential equations are quickly becoming important to me, since that's all I've been doing this term in classical mechanics. (You think Newton's the definitive answer to classical stuff? It's not true, unfortunately. It's absolutely frightening how much further the math can go...)

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
You guys are making me feel better. I'm studying for a Differentials midterm that I have on Tuesday (summer school FTL). I havent taken the class before and in summer school it is condensed into 6 weeks.

I don't find it as difficult as Calc 2 but right now this shit seems to be coming FAST!

Also, Electric circuits was the devil....I passed that shit barely. My whole last semester was HORRIBLE for marks but I will admit it was 5 very difficult courses. Make sure that when you take Diff that you understand Laplace Transforms. They become very important in Control Systems which is next year.

Oh well...back to studying for me....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Sitting out here waiting to take my test... decided to see what SM had going on.

I'm sooo fucking bored with school. I just want to build things!

You know, I really need to decide what my major beyond 'Engineering' is going to be. I really want to get into stellar propulsion systems, but short of sending an email off to NASA, I have no idea where to even start with something like that...

hmm... maybe I should do that. Eh, after the test :D