So I'm supposed to be heading to Calculus right now...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Calc 2. Ah, how I hate thee. :3d_frown:

It's not difficult or anything, I just can't stand listening to my monotone professor drone on about the history of calculus.

Instead, I'm surfing SM, and trying to determine if in fact the PTE67, T04R and T04Z all DO use the same compressor wheel, and calculating optimum pipe sizing (both IC and exhaust). I measured the PTE67 @ 66.69mm and 79.98mm (basically, a 66.7 and an 84mm) and all three use a .70 A/R cover with a 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet - the Z just happens to be DBB and have an antisurge housing (and is, of course, the only damn map I can find)

Should be a fun turbo - but I want to map it and get an idea of where the 'sweet spot' is, so I can tune the rest of the motor for it ;) Also waiting to hear back from Shawn still.

Eh, I guess I'll start heading that way. Just bored here, and wanting to get to work on the things that matter in life - my Supra. :love:

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Ughh I'm only in Calculus 1 but trying to pay attention for 2 and a half hours with only a 5 minute break in between is proving to be difficult. That and I always struggle to understand Mathematics....

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Calculus 2 is the bane of my academic existence. I have taken and dropped this class at least twice now.

Calc 1... No problem. I can solve tough derivatives out the ass. After reviewing the Calc 3 book, that too seems alright.

but Calc 2? Get that shit outta here...

I'm gonna have to man up one of these semesters and actually do it. Probably after summer.

If I never see another trigonometric integration problem, it will be too soon.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
As you may know, I've been working with an engineering company for two years now.

Never have I used calculus so far. Will I ever? IDK, maybe. But the work I've done up til now doesn't require calculus.

I think upper division math is to weed out those not fit for the major or profession. :p I WON'T LET THE MAN WIN!!!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
I flunked calc 2. Tripple integrals suck. Differential Equations suck. infinite series suck. Calc 2 is the reason I'm no longer an engineering student.

edit: I know several long time engineers, and They all also say that they've never used any of this crap. but at OSU, you MUST pass it to finish your engineering degree, and you can only take it twice. No if ands or buts about it. I failed both times (but not by much).

Sucks cause I was in the top 10% of all my science and drafting classes. Bitches.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
heh... Calc 3 and Diff EQ looks like it'll be easier than this crap. It's not that it's difficult, it's simply so damn convoluted.

Got my first test back, though it's not completely graded. Either an A- or B+

The trig substitution is what I hate. :3d_frown:

BTW - yeah, Engineering student here ;)

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
whats covered in calc 2? im almost done my mech engineering technologist diploma (similar to an engineer in training in the US), and by far the worst math was matrices and integration... I found that when I took the class (about a year ago) it was hard as hell, but now, I can do it easily.

if you want some extra help, look into Matlab. its a software program that is great for doing matrices, i only just discovered it last week.

the thing is, ive done over a year of co-op work at 2 different engineering firms, and neither use any of this math. it just takes too long. they use software programs to do 99% of calculations. granted, you do need to understand the basis for these programs, but it would help alot if the school taught you real-world ways of designing things...

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
We had a whole class in matlab. What a waste that class was! At least for us, it helped ZERO when it came time to do infinite series and matrices (for me that was math 306). DE's were 256, trig substitution & vectors were 254. 256 and 306 (at least for us) made up the full year of calc2

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
matrices ive done are nice and easy with the proper calc. look into a ti-89, those things are the shit once you figure out how to do them.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Doward said:
heh... Calc 3 and Diff EQ looks like it'll be easier than this crap. It's not that it's difficult, it's simply so damn convoluted.

Got my first test back, though it's not completely graded. Either an A- or B+

The trig substitution is what I hate. :3d_frown:

BTW - yeah, Engineering student here ;)

lol you guys.

I've been right about everything so far!

Speed Dodici quitting engr cuz of calc.

Doward agreeing calc 3 is even easier than calc 2 and that trigonometric substitution integrals are the devil.

I know too much about calc 2 for having never passed the class yet. :rofl:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Since we're talking about engineering classes that suck, has anyone taken an engineering circuits class?

That class was pretty damn hard as well if I do say so myself... Even worse than calc 2.