Slightly Rough Idle

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
nick88;1351888 said:
check for lose plug wires on the plug or coilpack and learn about your car and how it works before posting stupid questions

Why would you think they're loose?

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
lol. could be reasons but idk what you have done to your car or if you have touched it but I was changing my oil and somehow mine came off on #1 cylinder, probaly came off when i dropped oil cap in spark plug valley, and it wouldn't idle at all

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
UPDATE: Just replaced spark plugs and wires with NGK V-Power Copper(stock heat range) along with valve cover gaskets. Anyway, the engine seems to run better overall, but idle is still just as bad, if not worse. I'm thinking it could possibly need a timing check. It's due for an oil change but I doubt that would have anything to do with it.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Stock gap I assume? What's the idle RPM?

Did you check for ECU codes?

Check timing as you said...be sure to reference the TSRM for how. Check for vac leaks and any cracks in the intake accordion hose.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
nick88;1351888 said:
check for lose plug wires on the plug or coilpack and learn about your car and how it works before posting stupid questions

He didn't post any stupid questions. He asked about his idle and even posted up a nice vid with good audio.

No offense; but, ease up.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
jdub;1389307 said:
Stock gap I assume? What's the idle RPM?

Did you check for ECU codes?

Check timing as you said...be sure to reference the TSRM for how. Check for vac leaks and any cracks in the intake accordion hose.

Stock gap. Didn't check for codes, I have no check engine light. Besides, the TSRM procedure on checking codes seems confusing to me. The idle is a little on the low side. The lowest I've seen it be is 550, usually it's at 650. I checked the accordion hose and all the hoses coming to it from the PCV system when I was doing my plugs. One was cracked, so I replaced it. Any suggestions where I should check for vac leaks?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
CajunKenny;1389323 said:
He didn't post any stupid questions. He asked about his idle and even posted up a nice vid with good audio.

No offense; but, ease up.

"K" How did you get 320 h.p.?? What did you do, that's crazy power.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
294 hp and 320 tq.

That was un-tuned and on a stock fuel system. My afr's weren't in the danger zone yet; but, I didn't want to push it. The dyno operator's estimation was that I could've put down around 310 safely. I was 3 hours from home so I decided to play it safe. ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
650 is the spec for idleing rpm. if it drops below that the engine will run ruff cause its harder to keep the engine going with such low rpm. whats the engine sound like?

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
hvyman;1389748 said:
650 is the spec for idleing rpm. if it drops below that the engine will run ruff cause its harder to keep the engine going with such low rpm. whats the engine sound like?

The idle just isn't smooth. It kinda sounds like it has cams, but not really. It's not like it's going to die, it's just not smooth. Hard to describe.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
get a vid of the engine. to check codes all you do is go to the diag box(the lil gray one next the the fuse box under hood) and jump te1 and e1 with a paper clip. you could have a vac leak, might need to clean out the isc, tps. check your codes

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
hvyman;1389762 said:
get a vid of the engine. to check codes all you do is go to the diag box(the lil gray one next the the fuse box under hood) and jump te1 and e1 with a paper clip. you could have a vac leak, might need to clean out the isc, tps. check your codes

But I have no check engine lights. What do I do once I jump te1 and e1?