Show Me Your Sub Setups

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Thanks Aaron...It was a nightmare to meet my desire to keep everything as original as possible, and still give the sub the volume it needs. The amp is tucked in there tight enough I installed fans to make sure it didn't overheat (the 2 black circles on the seatback)!

smupra

Nov 29, 2005
chilliwack bc
this is my little set up... dont have anything in it right now...

p174487_1.jpg

2 10 inch sub box... all fibreglass. :biglaugh:

p174487_2.jpg

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
miekedmr said:
Nice setup, but... Are those 5-way speakers??

More drivers are not better. Lots of two-way components would stomp those as far as distortion and overall value.

Yeah, I think they are 5-way pioneers. My setup "sounds good" (on paper) but it doesn't "sound" so good (if you know what I mean). I do get a lot of distortion at the higher volumes. I am not so good at putting together an awesome sounding system. I bought an amp that is way overpowering, figuring bigger is better and that I may upgrade later to subs or something.

I didn't put resistors on the 3-1/2" speakers on the rear side panels and I think they may have blown.

Note for Jeff: When you are driving, do you keep your rear carpet over your sub or do you roll it up. I would think that would muffle the sound a bit if you didn't.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
chriso said:
Note for Jeff: When you are driving, do you keep your rear carpet over your sub or do you roll it up. I would think that would muffle the sound a bit if you didn't.

I leave it over the sub. Low frequencies don't get muffled by carpet so easily, and I can't really hear a difference at all with it covered or not, however, I will be cutting the carpet out over the sub and getting something more acoustically transparent sewn in.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Satan's and I are in the process of making our fiberglass enclosures. We are each gonna use 2x8" subs (500w low-profile Pyles) and she will use the space for the stock sub in her MKIV. I am still looking for examples/ideas.... not too wild, keeping as much useable space as possible.

Anyone got links to other custom sub pics?

As far as progress on our set ups.... I got the speaker rings cut (making the speaker sit flush with the enclosure), wiring run, etc.

We are going to try to make progress with the FG this week tho... clean it all up and paint this weekend.

E

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
You guys can check out some of the Supras I owned over the years at:
www.joncjennings.com and peep under 'my supras'

I had an 85 with an 18' woofer, 4 8's, 4 6.5s and a soundstream/ppi setup...
That 85 also had 15's then 10's then DVC 12s BUT the best was JL 12w6s

Then there was the 89.... I shoe-horned in 3 12w6s, 4 8's JL, 4 6.5 Quarts and a bunch of other goodies along with PPI amps and Audio control equipment... I cleaned house at car shows with that....

Although the 18 inch satellite dish in the trunk made me quite the talk of the show.... Since it was in a car.. There was nothing like that setup with the top off....

By the way: the top fits in the back seat quite well...

V

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
This is the install I did in my BMW, sorry no set up for my sup. But maybe it will help with ideas ;) BTW behind the seat was solid metal, I had to cut an opening, had to fab the kicks, door pods, rear set up I had to make a fold down rear seat out of a solid seat, well just about everything is custom. The one sub is running at 1 ohm, the four fronts are at 2 ohm per side.

Ok this is the head unit, Eclipse 55060
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is the sub, Orion HCCA duel voice coil 12"
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is the amp, Orion HCCA 150R
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here are the comps, kicks have MB Quart 6.5" (the doors have kappas....for now)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Rear seat up (and usable!)
p180661_1.jpg

Rear seat down,
p180661_2.jpg

Here is the calc for the enclosure (ported / green line)
p180661_3.jpg

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I had a set of Orion’s running on a Tsunami amp back in 98, it was an awesome setup. They were a very good Sub. I haven’t kept track of the company lately, so tell me, jimi87-t, how do they sound these days. Has Orion kept up there high quality? They were a damn near indestructible sub back in those days.

And how are their amps?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks Johnathan.

dirgle said:
I had a set of Orion’s running on a Tsunami amp back in 98, it was an awesome setup. They were a very good Sub. I haven’t kept track of the company lately, so tell me, jimi87-t, how do they sound these days. Has Orion kept up there high quality? They were a damn near indestructible sub back in those days.

And how are their amps?

I don't know about their quality now a days, Orion was bought out by DEI IIRC, and this set up was bought before that, the HCCA line was the best from Orion. These are a 1990's run that they had going and is what gave Orion their rep of being one of the best. I've been in the audio feild for a long ass time and wouldn't want anything else. Bad news is, I wouldn't trust their new stuff after the buy out, and you'll be hard pressed to find some good HCCA stuff for sale. This set up has seen a few of my cars threw out the years, and I've had to replace head units and mids and highs but have yet to make the amp and sub "miss a beat".

Last edited:

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
When you find a setup you like, you tend to stay with it...i personaly love my polks, nice tight crisp clear bass, but they don't have a super long throw, and mine has been through a few diffrent cars and a couple diffrent box setups, and like jimi87-t mine have never missed a beat

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
nothing too great, but i have pipe dreams to have something a little more custom and clean some day. that probably won't happen until after I get new shocks, springs, rims and rubber for the supra and video, carputer and amps + speakers for the tC.

This is what I've collected over the years.
Infinity Reference speakers
3" in doors
4" in rear panels
5.25" components on floor in front of front seats
6x9" in boxes in trunk

2x10" DVC Concept subs
2 Kenwood amps, 1 HiFonics amp, Fosgate cap, Clarion HU, Massive EQ

p180842_1.jpg

p180842_2.jpg

p180842_3.jpg

N

NDBoost

not a bad setup, i actually decided to buy this crappy $83 (shipped) sub setup from sonicelectronix.com. The company is DUB,i got a DUB100 10" Subwoofer + DUB265 6.5" Speakers + DUB1002 Amplifier + Enclosure + Wiring kit.

I havent found a use for the 6.5" speakers, i might replace them w/ the stockers in the rear but im not too keen about using multiple companies for speakers. Ive got 6.5" rockford fosgates in the front and every other speaker is stock. Overall i wasn't expecting much out of this setup because of its low quality and low wattage. However, i greatly under estimated this setup. For how low of a wattage this amp/sub is it hits pretty friggin hard, at normal freeway volume(21) you can feel the thump in your chest.

So if your looking for a decent sub setup checkout this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6744.html

They backordered another setup i ordered and substituted this one for the same price. I'll see if i cant snap some pics of the sub setup when i goto lunch here at work.

As far as the setup goes its pretty simple. I ran a power line from the battery into the cockpit (via the firewall) under the drivers side door sill and back to the hatch. I then attached the amp to the wooden spare tire cover and ran all my wiring under the carpet. The only thing exposed is the 1 set of speaker wire for the sub, and the actual sub enclosure. I left enough speaker wire so that i can lay the back seats down and move the sub forward to allow the targa to be put in.

Its a clean install & setup, only took me an hr or two to do it too.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
my setup (currently being installed right now) is:

Image Dynamics 5-1/4" + tweet up front (custom speaker mounts)
Focal 8" Coaxials (custom speaker pods in back seat area)
Kicker 600W 4-ch amp
.... I'll see how that sounds and decide if I need subwoofers or not. It won't thump like crazy but it may just sound decent enough.

Should be done in the next couple days, I'll take pics when it's finished, I know a lot of poeple have been wondering about my rear speaker pods.

If I'm dissapointed in the bass output I'll add a Cerwin Vega 12" or 15" sub in the wheel well and another Kicker amp.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
4 4inch audiobahn speakers and a 52x4 headunit.. no back seats, spare tire, or rear trim. weight reduction ftw..