Show Me Your Sub Setups

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Not my car anymore, its my brothers. And its not an MKIII; But here is some shots of the box while I was working on it.
p170652_1.jpg

and
p170652_2.jpg

They are two 10in 400watt subs with a 1000 wat amp powering them. Ill have to get some finished photos of it sometime. Ill also have to get some pictures of a box that I was building for my friends eclipse, it was sick but he got a different one cause he got a flat one day and it was too hard for him to get the spare out :rant2: ohh well

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
Jeff I'm very impressed! I love supra installs that look stock and hidden. I hope to be done in the next month or so with my install, just got my speakers today from UPS.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
Plywood + audible frequency transducer enclosures = :umno:

Medium Density Fiberboard = :naughty:

I'm a fan of JL Audio and I have a 10w0 that I bought 6 years ago. A small high quality enclosure(built by me), of .750" MDF is pending. Other brands involved: Alpine, Phoenix Gold, and Boston Acoustic.

EDIT: Sorry, no pics but I had a couple spare pennies to get rid of. :)

Last edited:
N

NDBoost

supraman7mgte said:
My amps

My mids and tweets

Rear fill

Sub box

The reason I used up the rear seat? Like who is gonna fit back there anyways?
I personally would put the subs there but recess them down about and leave the ability to put the rear seat in if needed. But keep the subs in if you know what i mean.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
This is just my temporary set up, until I get the energy to swap the JL 12w3 and JL 250 mono block amp from my other car.

It's a 10w0 in a JL box and a Kenwood 5 channel 1200 watt amp. I'm not to impressed with the amp, but my friend gave me this amp, after he lost my kicker amp. It was to get me out to California. After that I was supposed to swap in my real system from my other car. This system sounds good enough for now so I haven’t bothered to change it.

p170931_1.jpg

After installing as well as dealing with a lot of different equipment, I like the JL and Alpine products.

Nothing special but you wanted pictures.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Here is my setup for now. I have a Pioneer CD-9437 and an Almani 800W Amp, 4" Pioneers in the front and Rears, 3-1/2" Boss in the rear seat sides and 6" x 9" Pioneers in the back. I still have my spare in but can't put anything on the trunk. Oh, and I can still fit my targa top in there as well.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fastway135

Nov 7, 2005
Mass
dirgle said:
This is just my temporary set up, until I get the energy to swap the JL 12w3 and JL 250 mono block amp from my other car.

It's a 10w0 in a JL box and a Kenwood 5 channel 1200 watt amp. I'm not to impressed with the amp, but my friend gave me this amp, after he lost my kicker amp. It was to get me out to California. After that I was supposed to swap in my real system from my other car. This system sounds good enough for now so I haven’t bothered to change it.

p173218_1.jpg

After installing as well as dealing with a lot of different equipment, I like the JL and Alpine products.

Nothing special but you wanted pictures.

Whats the dimensions of the box and is it targa friendly?

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
It's very low-tech, but effective and targa-friendly. Q-Logic 10" Truck Box w/ a SVC Rockford Punch driven by a 400w kenwood amp...

sub_setup.jpg

Sorry the pic sucks, it's the only one I have right now that shows the sub in the trunk.

I like bass, but I don't like being a nuisance or drawing attention to my car. I have been very pleased with this setup, and I can take it out in about 5 seconds if I need to.

There are some nice custom jobs here, and I have an idea of what I want to do, but don't know how feasible it would be to pull off. I want to replace the plywood with a piece of mdf, and build a box for a 10" right in the middle of the spare. Even if I have to raise up the floor a few inches for clearance, it'd give me more room back there for stuff when I travel.

Of course, this project is on the back back burner. In fact, it's not even on the stove yet.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
You guys aint got NOTHIN on my setup.:yelrotflm

No seriously though...It sounds incredible...but I never have it up very loud anymore, I'm past that phase, lol. Only reason it is literally just "sitting" back there is because it makes for an easy pull out and be ready to race.
I'm not a hard guy to impress, as you can see.:bigthumb: :p

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I really like your install Jeff, I'm going to do something like that when I finally get a box built for my car. I have a single MTX 10" sub, I think it's a black gold series, it's old but pounds pretty good. I need to pick up a new amp, I think I'm goign to get a JBL one. My brother has all JBL in his Mustang and they are nice, and the customer support is really good.

If I had some pics of my setup right now I'd post them, but it's nothing special. Just the 10 in a box sitting in the hatch with the amp mounted to it.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
I really like Jeff's ninja install as well, very clean. I'm very tempted to do it EXCEPT that I'd have to remove the spare tire mount from the well and fab up a new floor--and I don't know how to weld yet. I was wondering, since the low freqs output by a sub are less directional, could you get away with putting an MDF box beneath the plywood, not cut any holes in the plywood and still get decent sound?

bigaaron: Those are some mighty clean installs! I wish I had skills in the install area...you see where my sub is, and my amp is zip-tied to the seat brackets underneath my passenger seat...definitely NOT a professional install.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Somewhat hidden...though it's only an 8, it gives me all I need. I lost less than 2 inches of overall height with the plywood deck raised. The amp and wiring for relays hides behind the new rear seat backs...

p173344_1.jpg

p173344_2.jpg

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5826/supraspeakers5kx.jpg

2 polks in a custom dual chamber matched sealed box ran by an MTX 280x2 amp...as you can see i have no room in the back for much of anything, and the spare is a HUGE pain in the ass to get out and back in...but sound wise, its worth it when you drive as much as i do, sometimes you need that BOOM BOOM to keep ya awake after a long day at work

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
chriso said:
Here is my setup for now. I have a Pioneer CD-9437 and an Almani 800W Amp, 4" Pioneers in the front and Rears, 3-1/2" Boss in the rear seat sides and 6" x 9" Pioneers in the back. I still have my spare in but can't put anything on the trunk. Oh, and I can still fit my targa top in there as well.

Nice setup, but... Are those 5-way speakers??

More drivers are not better. Lots of two-way components would stomp those as far as distortion and overall value.
That's why car audio STINKS. 95% of what is out there is gimmicky junk, and the other 5% is overpriced because of the name. I'm going to use home hi-fi parts for my car system. The consumers in that segment are a lot more knowledgable and careful about what they buy, which has created a market for quality, high-value parts rather than flashy square subs and 5-way coaxials.