Should I save a ’92?

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
They made 1300 in 92, 2600 in 91, and on up to 36,000 in 87 or something like that. The 92 is the rarest by a long shot. 1300 or less of a car for every country total is very rare. In twenty years it will be worth a fortune I bet.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
suprasales.gif

taken from bishops site. amount of supras sold from 1979-1998
whole page below
http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/differ.html

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
http://www.musclecarclub.com/other-cars/imports/toyota-supra/toyota-supra.shtml

The only Supra of any year that had less production than the 92 was the 96 Supra (852 produced), which only came in Automatic. I'm assuming all those figures are US numbers?:dunno: If they are, I'm sure they correlate to everywhere else.

Like it has been said, what about the 92 makes it desirable for you, personally? You said it was in excellent condition other than interior, so it sounds like a great pick up. Shadow Gray interior will probably be pretty hard to find by itself, unless you can find a part out (again probably pretty hard to find too), and most likely will cost you a good amount. If that's not a major deal for you (not getting an excellent 92 because of that is not, IMO), then you can always put in some interior of another color or make it black if you want. And whatever makes the 92 attractive to you, is it worth losing your 88 that you are so attached to for it?

I don't know your specific situation, but I understand the sentimental value thing. My dad is the original owner and gave his Supra to me when I got my license. I can't imagine not having it, and I never plan on getting rid of it. I'm very, very fortunate to have a well cared for Supra and a 92 at that. If I ever was to get a second Supra, I'd definitely prefer a 92 over any other year, and if I couldn't get one then a 91. But that's me, personally. What does that year mean to you? Take away some visuals (wheels and interior) and the rarity factor, and you have an MKIII like the others. If you are going for the rarity, then get the 92.

You'll have to assess what means more to you. I know you said you'd have to sell your 88 to get the 92, but is there any possible way you wouldn't have to?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
The question you have to ask yourself is why was he parting it out?

a) if its so rare
b) if it is in such good condition

I don't get why people are willing to pay over the odds for a certain year of car. Condition is far more important than the first year of registration. Late MK3's arnt rare in the UK I have seen more 91 and 92 MK3's than I have seen 89 90's

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Also something I was thinking about was, is it really a 92? If they are so rare the chances might be higher of it being a fake. I know with my car the guy said it was an 89, and it looked so due to the body panels and such but the vin number revealed it as being an 86.5 with a 7m-gte engine swap...

Check the vin number if he is willing to give it to you or if he already hasnt.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
chopstickz;878187 said:
so either the car would be worth a lot in the future... or not much at all! you have to take risks in life!

Well, for sure, the value of MKIII is growing. Just see at cars for sale section, and then dig up some threads which are 2 years old. See the difference?

Also in Europe, prices are rocketing. Last year to get a stock MKIII with mid-high millage was around 2000-3000usd, and now, it cost about 5000-6000usd, and for a low mile, fully stock MKIII you can get 13000-14000usd.

These car's will be expensive in the future... Of course, if they'll live till then :D

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
thanks for the visual noah! great graph I've never seen Bishop's site. I never realized really how rare a 92 was! wow...

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
As far as he's told me is that the bottom went down south and he decided to part it out .

The bloke wants £120 ($240) for it. Oh, and apparently the windscreen has been smashed.

Awaiting pictures.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
DonS1mpson;878625 said:
The bloke wants £120 ($240) for it.

Hell, the shell alone is probably worth that! I would buy it if only for a parts car. What...You don't own it yet? Are you broke or just don't have a place to put the car?:sarcasm:

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
It's a place to put it I'm afraid. No driveway and no garage :(

I'll wait for the pictures, but it doesn't look likely I'll go with it (getting the car transported down here is going to be far from cheap).

Down but not out;878193 said:
I don't get why people are willing to pay over the odds for a certain year of car. Condition is far more important than the first year of registration. Late MK3's arnt rare in the UK I have seen more 91 and 92 MK3's than I have seen 89 90's

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this trend.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
DonS1mpson;878795 said:
It's a place to put it I'm afraid. No driveway and no garage :(

I'll wait for the pictures, but it doesn't look likely I'll go with it (getting the car transported down here is going to be far from cheap).

Well that sucks....sorry man.:cry: I assume that putting it in storage would be problematic or to costly. This is where you need a friend or faimly member with a large plot of land and a garage.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
soo it's got engine problems?

sooo say you need a new engine figure a couple thousand dollars if you do it yourself, and then maybe another 500-1000 (that is a pure guess) for a full interior if you find one? meh...i dunno. i hope for your sake when you get pics the paint is bad. that way you'll be happier to pass it up. think of it this way, you can put away the money you were going to spend on this hunk of metal and put it into the purchase of a running car. :) you'll find another good deal ;)