SBC 406 in a Supra ? ?

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
How bad would this be?..I have an old 406sbc that made 450 hp @wheels in my old trasn am = pretty well built (pulled it back in 03).I also still have the TH350 that was mated to it too.IS this a possible swap first off and "Should" i do it is more of a question i would like opinions on.

*Pros*
~i will already have an easy 11 sec supra after its installed and tuned.
~Will def be different
~NO other supra will sound as mean.
~Much easier to get quality products and builders

*Cons*
~Chevy fed toyota..Not too upstanding in either community
~Messing with carbs..Not too much my thing anymore..Didnt really like it back in the day
~Will prolly break the rear end

What do ya think?..Pretty much
Would you rather have a 500 hp chevy fed supra or a
350-3XX hp supra that is still all toyota.
==========================================================
*In my expierence and from what i've seen ..SBC's crank out alot more power with less money than the 7mgte

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
This is a great way to make a supra way more reliable. It wont be as fun though. I would have gone this route myself but after I was in a high hp supra i fell on love. People should always try new things to be unique and as long as your satisfied with the results, who cares what others say or think.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
I think if you can make it all work nicely, it would be great. If you dont like carbs, thier is always EFI conversion systems for it. Shit.. for the SBC, anything is possible :D

And you could always through some NAWS on it, and find a good 9 inch somewhere :)

Also, the swap should definately be feasable if you have the skills to fabricate. Inline 6 should be longer then a v8, so you should have the hood room. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, all that shit might be hard.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
IJ. said:
I think he means 12 bolt. I would go for it. It will probably be a little nose heavy, but will be very fun to pull up to a meet and see the look on peoples faces when they here the cam.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL guessed as much but even so it's the custom work to install it that costs the big $$$ I did the IRS and Slow has done a live axle install neither of which could be considered "cheap"

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
im a turbo supra nut just like everyone else, but a small block chevy is always gonna be more reliable and much cheaper to work on. theres a guy out here in ohio who had a 400/th350 setup with a ford 9in in an 88 supra. he was running low 10's consistently. so i say go for it- there is no replacement for displacement. although i would rather build a 351w/c4 combo

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
say no to carbs!!!

it won't be street legal in many areas, but throw fuel injection on it and it might...

you also have to get the speedo working, ect... it's NOT going to be easy to get it done right...

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
people have put a sbc in every other car in the world why not a supra you could get an eldabrok sbc fuel injeton kit and convert from a carb if you wanted

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
themadhatter said:
people have put a sbc in every other car in the world why not a supra you could get an eldabrok sbc fuel injeton kit and convert from a carb if you wanted
Wow..2 pages in one night..so heres my thoughts:

-406 is completly done - built - ready to go in..Im leavin it the way it is.
carb - pan i have about 2000 in this motor, this motor has all forged internals..i could hook a weiand blower on it ..F*ck naws.

- I live in Indiana..No emission laws

-Thought about selling the 406 and goin lt4/ls6 but i f i sold it..I'd prolly just build up a 7mgte..Less hassle..if i had $$ in hand

-V8 is way shorter than a I6

-has hot cam kit - 650 lift ..Im sure this thing is louder than 90% of supras..But i do ♥ the BOV Too..Its a fair trade tho
* gotta love the cam *

- I work in a fab shop..i can make pretty much anything out of metal

- i know i would have hood issues..no way is a carb air cleaner gonna clear it.
prolly go old skool and fiberglass a cowl on top of the oem hood

I like it that the Supra community is cool about it..And it would be different.
Im going to talk to import guys at the local shop
~ He has a 502 bbc in a 91 RX-7..everytime i hear him..i turn and look for a chevelle or vette etc..thats what i want !

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
When i am done with the 7m (Not anytime soon) i am going turbo V8 but EFI though and some where along the lines of the LS motors. Go for it and our rear ends are pretty stout alot of people have made big power on the stock rear.

Again GO FOR IT.