SBC 406 in a Supra ? ?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
This is such a change in attitude guys!
patpat.gif

A couple of years back he'd have been burned at the stake for even suggesting this swap.

<golf clap>
clap.gif

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
I love the sound of my BOV, but I love the wine of a Pete Jackson gear drive even more . . . hmmm . . . I wonder if they make a horn that sounds like a gear drive!

Go for it!!

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Ohhhhh...Gail Banks engineering has a twin turbo setup for SBC. That would be pretty slick!

Anyway, it's your car so do what you want! I think it'd be cool. You got my vote.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
CPT Furious said:
Ohhhhh...Gail Banks engineering has a twin turbo setup for SBC. That would be pretty slick!

Anyway, it's your car so do what you want! I think it'd be cool. You got my vote.
Those Banks engines go for 30k. I think that might be a little more then he's willing to spend.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Sloppy small block 400 power. A famous overheater...to thin between the cylinder bores and you're thinking of shoehorning it in a car that isn't known for it's cool engine compartment. And as a bonus it's gonna be mated to a th350 (3 speed I assume) and just to top off that you want to use what?... a 9" ford or a 12 bolt chevy solid axle rear and lose your independent suspension?

I think I'd pass.:3d_frown:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
IJ. said:
9" doesn't mean you HAVE to lose the IRS ;)

Not only that, but you don't need to lose the stock IRS. I have seen lots of sbc swaps in supras before, hell I saw a 468 BB chevy in mk3 for sale in the auto trader. The 406 would be an eaiser swap than a 7mge to 7mgte. All the electronics you need is already in the distributor, one 12 v wire and your running.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yeah, but none of the gauges will work (well, the fuel guage will...)

high tech power everything car mated to carbed... I'd pass...

fuel inject it and get everything working right and make it look like it came in the engine bay stock, then you'll get my respect. Already seen enough SBC's in MKIII's...