reseting the odometer

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
hah, my supra is in pretty damn nice condition. fuck it. ill just leave it and count from where it is. ill prolly set it back to 150k so i have a place to start from.(currently at 157k). either way i ran this guy without a speedo cable for a week (snapped) so theres already lost mileage, PLUS its a jdm engine that somebody put in before me anyhow, and i plan on replacing all the bushings here very soon!

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
lols....... first off the car is 20 years old so the odometer mileage is void and does not matter for selling the car or title purchases, i think its like 10 years or something cuz i had this problem when i sold my celica and the miles didn't matter, and second ITS FRIGIN EASY to roll the odometer back on our cars, again 20 years old they are not electronic just roll the damn thing back with your finger it will take some force but can be done, and yes i know this from experience but not on my personal car.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
has any one ever tried the drill in speedo there is 2 bad things about this

1 being it takes a long freaking time 2 when they re lie up they will be off reson being is so you know that it has's rolled over

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
There is plastic tabs that hold the shaft down that the digits rotate on where your milage is stored gently cut the melted plastic tabs with a hot knife or xacto knife above the shaft where the plastic is melted sealing the shaft in pull the number tumbler set up out role the digits to what you want it to be put it back into the place holder and reheat and melt the plastic sealing tabs back together with the tip of a solder iron.

it sounde more complicated in writing then what it really is but when you take it out you will see how easy it is and the other guy is right if you try to force it or pry it it will break easy and you will not be able to see the digits because they will line halfway out of sight if you try and force it.

I had the same issue because my old supra had a broken gauge then i wanted the original miles back on it with another cluster i dmaged mine and the numbers dont line up right now : (

here is the local law word for word.....
Odometer Mileage Reporting
Odometer Mileage Readings

Legislation requires that the department collect and validate the odometer mileage reading for most motor vehicles upon initial registration and registered owner transfers in compliance with the Federal Truth in Mileage Act of 1986.

Reporting of the odometer mileage reading assists in the detection of odometer tampering. The collection of this information provides consumers with an accurate record of the mileage affecting the retail value of the vehicle.

When Do I Report Odometer Mileage Readings?

Odometer mileage readings are encouraged for all motor vehicles, but are mandatory when:

you initially register a motor vehicle or transfer ownership, and
the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
Are There Any Exceptions To This Requirement?

Yes. Reporting the odometer mileage reading is encouraged, but not mandatory if:

the vehicle is 10 years old or older,
the vehicle is a commercial vehicle with unladen weight of more than 8,500 lbs (more than 16,000 lbs gross vehicle weight),
the vehicle is sold directly by a manufacturer to any agency of the United States, or
the vehicle is a new vehicle transferred prior to first retail sale by a dealer.
How Do I Report the Odometer Mileage?

Enter the mileage on the Certificate of Title in the section designated for the disclosure of odometer reading (see example below), or if any of the following statements are true, complete a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer Form (REG 262).

The title you hold does not have a section designated for disclosure of the odometer reading.
The section designated for disclosure of the odometer reading has been completed by a prior seller and buyer.
The section designated for disclosure of the odometer reading does not have a place for the buyer to sign and the "new registered owner" section on the reverse of the title does not contain wording that the buyer "acknowledges" the odometer mileage reading disclosure made by the seller.

Certificate of Title Odometer Disclosure Section

The seller must sign the odometer disclosure, and the buyer must sign acknowledging the disclosure. This holds true regardless of whether the disclosure is made on a Certificate of Title or a REG 262 form. The buyer and the seller should each retain a photocopy of the document containing the odometer disclosure.

What Should I Do If I Don't Have the Title?

If the title has been lost or is held by a lienholder, you must use the REG 262 form to report the odometer mileage reading.

What does “actual mileage,” “exceeds mechanical limits,” and “not actual mileage,” mean?

Actual Mileage—the odometer reflects the actual mileage on the vehicle.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits—the odometer has reached the highest number mechanically available and has started renumbering at 1. (In other words, the odometer has "rolled over.")
Not Actual Mileage—the odometer is broken or has been replaced, or the current owner is unsure of the true mileage.

What Happens Once the Odometer Mileage Readings Are Reported?

The odometer mileage reading will be displayed on the new Certificate of Title issued by the department and stored on the vehicle record.

Last edited: