reseting the odometer

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Okay, seriously though... I just pulled a speedo out of one of my spare clusters and DAMN! If you know exactly where to press it takes seconds to zero one of these out. Makes me glad I don't only look at mileage when buying a used car.... that's scary.

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
^^^Yeah, the retard who had my white 90 turbo didn't even remove the odometer from the gauge cluster. I went in fixing things and changing light colors and saw the drill hole above the odometer that he/or a previouse owner used to roll back the mileage.:nono:

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Actually, I didn't have to disassemble it or drill any holes. Like I said, it's kinda scary how easy it was.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
^ That, or rig up your drill to the back of the cluster (preferably a plug in drill, it's gonna take a little while), set the drill to like half speed (don't want to strip anything out in the cluster) and take a breather for a little while ;). I say it this way to save your speed cable unecessary mileage.

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
ok i wanna practice. i have 3 cluster sitting around.
where do you press? yea yea i know its against the law bla bla
but i want the knowledge.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
On the back of the cluster, right behind the speedo is a circular hole with something in there that looks a lot like a plastic toothpick. take your drill and tighten it up around the toothpick VERY CAREFULLY. Then turn the drill on until the speedo starts going up. Make sure your drill isn't off balance and causing it to wobble around or you may damage something in the cluster or break the toothpick thingy. Here's why I said a plug in drill... Go do something for a day or two ;), it's gonna take a while. Do half speed or something close to that on the drill that way you don't burn it up. I don't suggest going in reverse, you may damage something in the cluster, but since you have 3, your welcome to give it a try!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You can buy a new one like Ken suggested for about $250.00 I think. I priced one a while back but I can't remember the exact dollar ammount.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
You can easily adjust the mileage if you have small fingers. That or use needle nose pliers with tape around the tips so you don't scratch the numbers. While I don't recommend doing this, because it is illegal and you will possibly break the odometer, it is really easy to do once you take it out of the cluster.

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Easiest way to turn the speedo is with a flat head screwdriver. Once you have the speedo out, looking at it down from the top, stick your screw driver in between the number that you want to turn and the next number. Gently pry the numbers apart while turning the number and it will turn. Takes 30 sec to zero out the cluster.....:bigthumb:

89BklynSupra

Jun 13, 2005
Carteret, NJ
If you report it to DMV your car will be stamped with a flaw. It will be put on the title with that flaw. I brought a car that had the motor changed (came with all documents) and was reported to DMV and they put on the title mechanical flaw (IIRC). I would just leave it alone and like the others said keep good records of the miles.

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
CRE said:
Okay, seriously though... I just pulled a speedo out of one of my spare clusters and DAMN! If you know exactly where to press it takes seconds to zero one of these out. Makes me glad I don't only look at mileage when buying a used car.... that's scary.

i dont want to try the drill way. Knowing me i probably would mess up or not hold the drill steady enough.

I want to learn the pressing way. saying it takes seconds or minutes to zero it out.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Vehicles Exempt From the Odometer Disclosure Requirements of the Federal Truth in Mileage Act

The following vehicles are exempt from the odometer disclosure requirements of the Federal Truth in Mileage Act:

* A vehicle with a gross weight rating of more than 16,000 pounds;
* A vehicle not self-propelled (i.e. Trailer, etc).;
* Vehicles ten-model years (10) old or older (e.g. Current calendar year minus ten (10) equals the first year model exempt.) In the calendar year 2003, 1993 and older year model vehicles are exempt. In calendar year 2004, 1994 and older year model vehicles will be exempt.
* A vehicle sold directly by the manufacturer to any U.S. government agency in compliance with a contract's specifications and;
* A transferor (seller) of a new vehicle prior to its first transfer to a retail customer need not disclose the vehicle's odometer reading (i.e. Sale of a new vehicle from one dealer to another dealer before the vehicle is sold to the first retail customer).

When completing any document or form providing a space for an odometer reading, enter the word exempt when the vehicle is exempt from the odometer declaration requirements. If the vehicle is not exempt, then an odometer reading must be entered and the appropriate box checked when the odometer does not reflect the total distance the vehicle has traveled.

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
tubbie said:
^^^^^^^^Look on the back of the title......

Doing it and Double checking again. didnt see anything about 10yr bla bla

Maybe it differentiate according to states

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
What if you someday sell the car to a meber of this board and the low mileage attracts a customer that buys your car. Then they find out it is a p.o.s. worn bushings, noises, runs like shit, interior is shit, parts are worn mainly, my point be true write you mileage on a piece of paper.