reseting the odometer

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
yes i know its illegal and everybody will get pist off prolly(dmv). but lets just say somebody chucked a rock at my dash and busted the damn thing and i got a new one... (not!)

im rebuilding the engine. i dont plan on selling this car ever, i plan on staying with it for a LOOONG Time, or till i smash it, (knock on wood)

how do i reset this thing back to ZERO, so i can see my miles on my rebuild engine. theres got to be a way, its just a rolly polly thing that goes round and round.

somebody please let me know.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Why don't you just write down the mileage from the first time you start your rebuilt engine? That way you'll always know.

you never know when you might sell the car though. I wouldn't mess with the odometer. seriously...

BTZ

Apr 5, 2005
Burnaby
i dont know, i had the thing apart and could not turn it back. the only way would be to roll it foreward till it hits 999 999 and rolls over to 0. or buy another gauage cluster with lower km on it already.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
RazoE said:
use the trip meter..............

It is going to be hard to keep track of how many times it will roll over. and accidently press the button. unless you think his engine will last under 1k miles lolz. :biglaugh:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
nah, just simple math, before the trip meter resets, just write it down on a little note pad in your glove box...

i reset my trip meter the second i hit 240k miles, so now they're synchronized..

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
its illegal and is checked when you get your car inspected. its gonna throw up all kinds of red flags.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Oh wait I've got an even better idea. Just gut the odometer and tape a black and white print from your inkjet with "0000000" in the vacant opening!

Last edited: