Relocating Coils *HELP*

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Hey all,

I am looking at mounting my 7M-GTE coils on the firewall lip like a lot of you have.
My question is this, do you use a special brace under the coils? I would have thought the coils would be too heavy and would stress and bend the lip without a brace?

I have a 1G-GTE engine, so I cant use 7M-GTE cam covers, and I have pretty writting on mine that I dont want to cover up :)
Imagine them actually clean and "readable" hehe:

bov.jpg

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Idealsupra said:
how exactly are going to use coils anyways? isnt that a dizzy on there?

A dizzy is just a CPS with a rotor slapped on the top. Seriously, take a dizzy and a CPS - lay them on a table, and ask someone to tell which is which - you wont be able to :icon_razz

So I'm using the dizzy as a CPS, no rotor and making my own cap as the 7M-GTE CPS doesn't fit (hits my thermostat housing).

I have tested the setup by turning the dizzy by hand. It sparks as it should.

I was thinking of putting the coils where ABS would normally go if I had it - or maybe where Aaron has put his, but then I thought, if I can put it on the firewall, I can probably get away with using stock 7M-GTE leads (of which I have a set).

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Idealsupra said:
it wont reach to the firewall on the lip location with stock 7m wires unless you have 2 SETS ;)

Well that's fine. I'm more concerned about the weight on the firewall. Can I use the stock bracket at all? Or do I have to make one up?

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I cut down the stock tray, ground off the rough edges, and then drilled three holes in both the back of the tray lip, and the firewall. I also used an extended harness, and NA plug wires, so nothing interferred with the throttle linkage. Worked okay, except the wires didn't always have a good connection. I can put up some better pictures tommorow, these were with my cell.:icon_razz

Attachments

• coilpack.jpg
    coilpack.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
  • cp2.jpg
    cp2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 42
  • cp3.jpg
    cp3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 46
  • cp4.jpg
    cp4.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 41

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i have mine mounted below the intake manifold,

you will need to disasemble the stock wires, buy a wire crimp set, and get a spool of wire

each wire is about 12-15 inchs long

i dont have any spark issues on either of the two 7mgte's i have done this on.

if you look closely at the bottom of the intake by the altenator, you'll notice the coils are mounted on the support bar for the intake, i welded it there and seems to be working great, make sure you get decent penitratin but dont weld for to long , as you dont want to damage the coil by melting them.

p691430_1.jpg

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
91T breezen' said:
I cut down the stock tray, ground off the rough edges, and then drilled three holes in both the back of the tray lip, and the firewall. I also used an extended harness, and NA plug wires, so nothing interferred with the throttle linkage. Worked okay, except the wires didn't always have a good connection. I can put up some better pictures tommorow, these were with my cell.:icon_razz

Hey thanks for the pictures. But just one question. How do you actually bolt them to the firewall? Do you take the inside dash apart to get to the back of the holes in the firewall? Unless there is enough meat in the firewall to be tapped?

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Idealsupra said:
take the grills out under the wipers and you can put your hands in there use a bolt/nut combination.

Oh cool! I didnt even think about that properly obviously! Cheers for that! I will attempt that tonight hopefully :)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Look like you deleted crusie control, why don't you use that bracket and modify it to fit the coil and it will sit good if not better over there, unless your going for a certain look or short wires.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
7Mboost said:
Look like you deleted crusie control, why don't you use that bracket and modify it to fit the coil and it will sit good if not better over there, unless your going for a certain look or short wires.

I never had cruise control, or ABS. Wire length isnt a problem, but there's even less room over the drivers (right) side of the engine bay, with the brake booster there.

Or were you not talking to me? :p

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Oh I was I was wondering what was missing from over there, I still think you could fit it, mine has a lot of space even with the brake booster.