Rebuilding an R154... is it hard to do?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
So yeah, I dont think I'd even try this with an auto tranny, but just wondering if a 5 speed is easier to do? With all the money I'm pourin into this car, if I can save a grand by refreshing the trany myself, that'd be cool... I mean, it doesnt NEED a rebuild, it was working perfectly, but I thought while it was out, I'd hook up with MDC on a rebuild kit and maybe get some hardened or cryo'd parts...

On a scale from 1-10, 1 being cake walk easy, and 10 being you need a rocket science degree, where would it be?

Thanks,
Jake

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
not as hard as it seems. more a problem of the right tools, you´ll need some pullers, a press and some rings to press the bearing´s. would be good if you have a lathe on hand so you can make the things on your own. a friend or shop nearby who can make this would be also right. It will work also without this, toyota (better said AISIN) constructed the R15x trans for easy maintainance i think, as this is also fitted in hilux trucks and 4 runners. With a bit mechanical knowledge and some tools you could make the needed things yourself. On the other side its also easy to ruin the rebuild without proper tools.

But as i stated in the thread before, precision is the key for a tough R154. Read the TSRM and you will see what i mean, transmission rebuild is well documented there. aybe i can send you some pic´s next week, just rebuilding one for a friend.

would give it a 5-6. Not from difficulty but from possible error sources.

John

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Tooling up is a big factor in deciding to rebuild something. I lost count of how much $ ive spend on tooling up just for a rebuild. If you can borrow/beg some tools then I'd say go for it. The tsrm shows you step by step and Im sure if some toyota mechanic can do it then you can.

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
the toyota mechanic would just order the SST´s or have it already in shop (maybe). But i doubt if he would make it much better then you if you do it on your own car.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Thanks guys, I'll look into it... I have a friend who is a master welder for the A/F here and he works in the machine shop on base making airplane parts with all the fancy billion dollar CNC machines... He's going to make a few parts for me so maybe we can make some parts for the tranny like you wree saying... And I'll look into the TSRM see what it says...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
If you can get it down here, we can get both of ours done at the same time for $250 a piece for labor, $235ish for MDC rebuild kit. $500ish is hard to beat. PM me & I'll reply later if you feel the need.....

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Lucky for us, Asin also sold this transmission to JEEP, and they used in on the Cherokee....

So, go to any JEEP dealer, and talk to the service department. They have all the tools needed (or should have) to rebuild this tranmission. My rebuilt R154 used Mopar shift forks.. (Well, the bags were marked Mopar, but the forks had the Asin logo's cast into them...)

Parts are generally less money too compared to Toyota, which is why mine are "Mopar" LOL

I know this same transmission is now being used in the midsized Chevy truck as well, so the Chevy dealer/service might have the parts and tools to do the work.

That being said, my trans rebuild was only about 700.00, and I replaced second gear, all new synchro rings, bearings and thrust washers. I think the parts were about 200.00 because of the gear, the bearings and other parts were bought as a kit from Mopar for the Cherokee transmisison.

One thing I did while this trans was torn down was themal coat the cases, moly coat the shift fork pads and other wear surfaces, debur and moly coat the thrust washer and moly coat the rear bushing as well. Now the entire transmission case acts like a huge surface cooler, and the suspect first gear thrust washer should never be a problem.

The trans runs much cooler than it used to. On long trips, in the summer, or even in cooler weather, the shifter would be very hot after a few hours of driving. Now it just get's luke warm, even on the hottest days when it used to get so hot it was painfull to touch, it's now just slightly warm.

Be ready for a difficult to shift first 500 miles however. This thing was tight when it was done, and has only gotten better as it's broken in.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IIRC, they were $1250 about 6 years ago. IMO, sell the R154 will it's still in one piece, get IJ to fab you an adapter plate & go with the TKO. You'll be glad you did.