Radiator fan + PWR Radiator

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
Did you check the shroud mounts to see if it's mounting flat on the Rad or at an angle?
I looked last night after work, looks flat! I'll have to check again in better light.

bigaaron said:
And from what I've seen it's not only a problem on cars that have broken motor mounts.
So you've seen cars with good condition mounts do it?

suprabad said:
You'd think he'd feel it clunking around.
One would think, but my driveshaft carrier bearing is also shot so I get that clunk upon acceleration and deceleration.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
When I purchased my PWR radiator,I also added the stock shroud,(after painting it and making it look like new) I added the dual a/c fans and installed it after putting in the new clutch fan and fan.
2 hours later 3 of the blades climbed over the shroud and halted the clutch fan. I didd'nt take into consideration that the new radiator was thicker,therefore increasing the distance between the 2 components.
So basically,I removed the stock fan/clutch and made a custom shroud with the fans attached.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
PWR.jpg

It has the two lower mounts where the shroud slips in, but it does not have the lower auxiliary fan screw hole. It has the two screw holes for the top of the auxiliary fan, but not the lower.

I don't think i'm missing something or doing anything wrong, the radiator I took out (which is an old CSF stock size replacement that my parts car had when the stock plastic top on my car started leaking) has the screw hole for the lower part of the auxiliary fan. Keep in mind this is an '87 with the single auxiliary fan.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
Daemon: Should still have the lower bolt hole for the AUX fan.

Can you get a pic of the shroud mounts on an angle looking down?
(use the flash as well please)
I took that picture with my cell phone when I got it, it's on the car now. I'll have to get a picture when I have some time. I've been working a lot!

mkIIIman089: I got it through 935 Motorsports.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
My first night of driving around with the new rad, my fan blade caught.
I have new (shiny new) motor mounts.
My strut bar has acquired a new ding from the intake mani hitting it.
I have 89+ mounts.
If this is going to be an issue, then something needs to be done.
I like the dc fan setup supraman7mgte has.
In cars though, I trust mechanical things over electronics...
Any other ideas?

Justin727

T-virus infected
I have the newer PWR radiator, bought it from titan!
This is the clearance from the fan shroud all way round.
p711796_1.jpg

Bolt holes for the aux fan which I don't have in currently.
p711796_2.jpg

Bottom aux fan bolt hole. sorry for the qaulity cramped space
p711796_3.jpg

and a top pic of the radiator.
p711796_4.jpg

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The problem is that the radiator looks to be an inch thicker then stock, so it puts the shroud too close to the fan. The only way I could see that working is with some kind of custom fan.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Aaron: Same Rad Same 10 blade GTE Fan on a Stock GTE Fan Clutch 0 issues.

Been running this way for a few years now but I'm on NEW 86.5 mounts.
(this is why I wondered if the 89+ Mount might put the motor at a different angle or maybe closer to the rad?)