Radiator fan + PWR Radiator

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
I put in my PWR Radiator from 935 Motorsports last week, and I pop my hood tonight to discover 2 fan blades broken off on my '87 turbo. I know how much thicker it is over the stock unit, and I had it sitting flush against the radiator support. The fan and fan shroud were purchased new from Toyota at the end of 2005, beginning of 2006. When I installed the unit I used all new hardware and the shroud was mounted securely to the radiator with almost no play. Even now, there is no real play to the shroud, it's secure against the radiator.

What else would cause the fan to come in contact with the shroud? From what I could see tonight the radiator suffered no real damage from the disaster, one spot has a small dent but is not leaking whatsoever. It's just a little aggravating having to buy a new fan and shroud and put it all back together.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Fan shroud too close to the fan blades on one side, reving the engine, or putting lots of load on it, causing the engine to flex due to the stock, rubber motor mounts....?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
To start, I'm impressed that you went to such lengths when you installed it to make sure this didn't happen.

Was the fan loose on the clutch? Was the clutch tight up against the water pump? I see you've got an 87, which makes this less likely, but maybe check out your motor mounts and see if they are ripped apart or not.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
mkIIIman089 said:
To start, I'm impressed that you went to such lengths when you installed it to make sure this didn't happen.
I wouldn't call that great lengths, I put new hardware on everything I remove. The rest of what I did is a normal part of installing a radiator.

I'll be checking the car out again when I get home from work and see if I can figure anything out. Thanks guys.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
My "guess" broken engine mount or Fan clutch.

I run the same combination and it's no where near the Rad.
Fan clutch looks/feels fine, i'll have to check the mounts. Does your PWR have the lower screw hole for the auxiliary fan? Mine didn't have it, only the two uppers.

Do you have any pictures of how your radiator mounts? I'd like to see on yours looking into where the fan goes into the shroud, on the backside of it. Same with a shot of how it sits against the radiator support, I looked in your build thread and didn't see any of this detail. Thanks IJ.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Daemon: Sounds like you have the "Pre IJ PWR" rad :(
(I helped redesign it)

If you look at the Turbo side Shroud mount you'll see it kicks the shroud out on an angle and the lower shroud mounts are missing.

Not sure if this contributes but it could very well be the cause.

Just dug through all my old pics and sorry I don't have any thing showing the rad.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
Daemon: Sounds like you have the "Pre IJ PWR" rad :(
(I helped redesign it)

If you look at the Turbo side Shroud mount you'll see it kicks the shroud out on an angle and the lower shroud mounts are missing.

Not sure if this contributes but it could very well be the cause.

Just dug through all my old pics and sorry I don't have any thing showing the rad.
An old version? I just bought this 3 weeks ago :nono:
Thanks for your help IJ!

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
Justin727 said:
I'm with IJ. The fan doesnt come close to my PWR and fan shroud. You sir do have a broken mount
Would you mind snapping a few pictures of your radiator? I want to see how it sits against the radiator support, how close the fan looks to the inside of the shroud etc.

And are you able to install/remove your radiator with the shroud attached?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
my koyo and my stocker could be installed with the shroud attached (remove the lower piece of the shroud like you're supposed to)

I'm unsure on the PWR, but on the koyo the lower mounts had to be trimmed to drop the radiaor down low enough.

Where did it hit on the shroud? There should be scuff marks...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Like I was saying, the engine flexes with stock motor mounts, he has the beefy pre '89 ones too, but the engine will still move around when revved. Being close at the top like Aaron said and the engine moving some may have caused it to do exactly what it did...