rack & pinion replacement

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
How long? and how hard ? is it going to be taking out a rack & pinion replacing with a new rack & pinion on a 90 non turbo with the engine still inside ? any tip or idea would be nice ! already search but nothing came up !

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
mk3tt said:
How long? and how hard ? is it going to be taking out a rack & pinion replacing with a new rack & pinion on a 90 non turbo with the engine still inside ? any tip or idea would be nice ! already search but nothing came up !
If it is just the rack and nothing else its not too bad. Four bolts hold the rack in place, 1 feed and 1 return line, and the tie rods. Do yourelf a flavor and order some poly rack bushings from suprasport or some fresh ones from Toyota as they are almost certanly shot. Some new copper washers for the banjo bolts on the lines from Toyota would also be a good investment. The feed and return line are a bitch but if they need to be replaced do it while the rack is out as it is much easier without the obstruction.

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
is it hard to install the new one since the motor is not out ? i taken a closer look under the car and it seem like a tight fit with the engine in the way, is it possible to have the rack & pinion slide sideway towards the driver to get out ? and is there any better idea to take it out ? rather than taking it to the shop.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Mods - feel free to delete this if I am talking out of my ass - I am going off memory from about 12 years ago.

I think replacement involves dropping the front subframe?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Subframe removal?...no definatly not. The rack is only held in by 4 bolts (14mm I think), 2 banjo fittings on the feed and return line, and the castle nuts on the tierod ends. pop the metal brackets the bolts hold off, and pull forward...done. Install is reverse of removal. I have the advantage of a rack and an impact and did it on my 89 in 25 min or so. In a driveway on supports I would assume it to take 1-1.5 hours. If you don't want to do it yourself thake it to a tech and get him to do it....but it won't be cheep. If you lived here I would do it for a case of beer.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
With a long enough extension, you can remove the bolts on the passenger side and the rear bolt on the drivers side from inside the hood. To give you a little more room you can loosen the motor mount bolts and raise the engine about 1.5 - 2". Not needed but simple to do anyway.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
^^^ Eh that sounds like a pain in the butt.

Going to do mine soon......... I mean soon.... yeah... soon... sometime soon....

Anywho all bolts are on the bottom of are the two front one on the bottom and the rear on top. I am talking about where to unbolt them at.