Quick question about driveshaft harmonics...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ. said:
Chunks: LOL I've broken a few shafts but then I learned about Critical speed and lengths and haven't had a failure since ;)
The critical speed IJ is talking about is the 150mph runs down the road, and the lengths is what he goes thru to try to break it to build it bigger and better:biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AJ'S 88NA said:
The critical speed IJ is talking about is the 150mph runs down the road, and the lengths is what he goes thru to try to break it to build it bigger and better:biglaugh:
AJ: LMAO not a chance in hell would I drive the way I do now on a single piece.....

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
What exactly is that drive shaft? is there anything still stock on it? the carrier bearing looks like it might be stock, but then again you have a CNC, so anything is possible.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Chunks: Yep the carrier is a new OEM one ;)

Uni's are 1350 Solid hi impact units bigger diameter heavy wall tube and a Spicer a340/r154> 1350 slip yoke.

Sin: The Shaft the holds the carrier would be a problem in Al as it's small diameter.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
so a 1 piece steel would be better then aluminum? or is the weight not important enough to use a 1 piece? at least thats why i thought everyone was using them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
people use em because the carrier bearing is as expensive as a one piece drive shaft, and the response is better...

honestly, it would have been cheaper for toyota to use a 1-piece, so in their infinate knowledge why on earth did they put a 2-piece in?

kinda like the thinking behind copex.

"I know, I'll do this and nobody else has done or thought of it before!!!"

the next question you should ask yourself is WHY?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
A 1 piece steel shaft is NOT heavier than our stock 2 piece. Our stock 2 piece DS is the heaviest DS I've ever pulled from a car. (notice I said CAR ;))

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep, they're missing the point...

more power = more speed = faster rotation = failure that could possibly cause a deadly wreck

stock driveshaft is fine, and I'll be replacing the u-joints and bearing in mine and using it till it fails...