Quick question about driveshaft harmonics...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
My brothers 1jz car recently got a 1 piece driveshaft.... the cars powerband is silky smooth now, and throttle response is as good as it gets.... But i told him to stick with the steel, and he did.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Great.
Me with my aluminum driveshaft, wondering if I'll get smacked in the balls one day with a big metal stick. I have one driveshaft loop, which I was planning on putting towards the front of the driveshaft, I think I might put a second towards the center, where the carrier bearing bolts in, so that If it splits either by the front yoke, or shears in the center, it will be contained.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I am pretty sure that the vibration will not be addressed by sound deadening material.

It's more of a matter of rotating mass and the length of the driveshaft.

When you split the driveshaft in half (as the stock unit is) you mitigate some of the vibration that is unavoidable with a 1 piece (and relativly long) driveshaft.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
so whats the deal here? is there a lightweight alternative that wont grenade? or is stock as good as it gets?

maybe a one piece built to a specific thickness and diameter? :1zhelp:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
6500 rpm = 8666 rpm at the shaft on a r154 you guys need to either do the math or contact your shaft supplier to find out the critical speed of what they're suppling you.

Increase the motor rpm and the shaft speed goes up, where this all becomes a problem is if you run low diff gears the road speed for a given rpm comes down and can easily put you above critical.

Factor in most stock or near stock GTE's and 3.73's won't even get close to peak rpm in 5th so "should" be safe but again this depends on each shaft taking into account it's material/wall thickness/diameter/length.

All of this isn't something I'd chance as I value my life and is why I had the large diameter 2 piece made as I know I'll never be in the danger zone.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
IJ already answered that question

IJ. said:
Chunks: Yep the carrier is a new OEM one ;)

Uni's are 1350 Solid hi impact units bigger diameter heavy wall tube and a Spicer a340/r154> 1350 slip yoke.