quick question about charcoal can

Status
Not open for further replies.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
well regardless, mine has been deleted on 3 of my vehicles no probs yet. So wheres your comeback to that? This has been 5 years down the road.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tturnpaw said:
well im not here to argue, but the gas cap does vent. also when you hear the pressure release, its because fuel was sloshing around and when your low everything expands and creates pressure.

Pretty well sums it up right there you have NFI......

Why do you delete it what benefit are you seeing?

BigTree

Targa JZA70 FTW
Jan 6, 2007
Canada, BC
img1390800x600lo5.jpg

^^Pic of said 1JZ CC for those interested.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
The previous owner removed the one on my car(7M). I'm assuming that replacing it with the smaller onen would get rid of the gas smell under the hood? Can I get it at the dealership? Which car is it from?

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
i never once stated it was a performance gain, and i will agree it isnt. I like to have a clean engine bay, thats my excuse. Also, im not anal about venting a tank that back in the 60s, they didnt. I just assume have a cap that vents, plug the lines, install a pcv catch can, and call it a day. I also delete egr, because i hate having gunk run through my engine. Its all preference. It may not be the MOST efficient, but neither is running 500hp and expecting it to last 20yrs.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
also, youre telling me that plastic and steel create a bond that seals?! sounds to me youre the one with nfi. Oh and by the way, mine hasnt had that happen, the pressure release i mean. Only my mustang does it.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I just bent the tube towards the ground and ditched the charcoal can. Have not had any problems yet and no fuel smell in the car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
JMan: Less weight?

Take a dump before the event ;)

Tek: JZA70 most Toyota dealers can order one in.

TTurn: Where did I say anything about "seals"?

Tim: Good for you you've done an awesome mod I'm impressed.....

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Pretty funny. I have no dog in this fight. All I'll say is 1) Stating "facts" based on one's own personal experience is a logical fallacy and 2) The EVAP system in the Supra, as in most cars, is designed to keep the tank at a positive pressure to help reduce fuel pump cavitation. It's not just for emissions. I'm guessing our resident expert had no clue about that.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The "grumpy old men" have beat up on you guys enough...I'm thinking you're getting the idea it's not a good idea to delete the CC.

Here's all you have to do. Get a 1JZ CC, mount it behind the wheel under the skirt, re-route the lines. Your fuel system will be happy and you don't have the CC in the engine bay. Win, win ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, you probably could run without it and not have problems. Lots of people do. Moral and legal issues aside (a study released today shows 50% of the US population still lives in unhealthy air) you'd likely never notice. Doesn't mean it would be the right thing to do from a tech standpoint though. There's also the issue of selling your car to someone who might need it. I've seen lots of posts from new owners who have to invest dollars to replace emissions stuff the PO yanked off.

Btw, not realizing you have NFI is the first step to getting help. Congrats ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.