Questioning my turbo choice...

supra_kid101

Oct 28, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
I bought from a friend a Holset HX40 turbocharger. The only specs i've found on this turbo are:

Specifications:
Compressor wheel - 60mm inducer/85mm exducer
Up to 4.5 pressure ratio or 51 psi capable
High speed balanced at 130,000 rpm’s

Everyone i've ased around where I live says it'll take forever to spool. All I know is that it does have the 60-1 compressor wheel and i'm assuming it's the HX40 from looking at many pictures of Holset turbos on Google.

Anyway my question is does anyone have any experience running this turbo and are will it be spooling high up in the rpm ranges?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It isn't the compressor side that is too big - you need to find a way to increase exhaust gas velocity.

What A/R is the exhaust side?

supra_kid101

Oct 28, 2007
Doward said:
It isn't the compressor side that is too big - you need to find a way to increase exhaust gas velocity.

What A/R is the exhaust side?
Im not entirely sure. The only specs i've been able to find so far are the ones i've posted. The only other thing I know is that it's a v-band style outlet and measures 3.5" inches across. If I can find the spec on the exhaust side i'll post it.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
TRUCK TURBOS ARE CRAP ON CARS. Diesel and gasoline engines are totally different animals, I'd advise you sell it to a dodge driving dumbass and buy a solid setup turbo for our car!

Mibba

Jun 28, 2007
Sydney, Au
if its bigger then a 1.15a/r rear houisng, its going to take forever to spool. Trust me personal experience. A 1.15 rear housing makes about 10psi of boost by 5000rpm

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Wills7MGTE said:
TRUCK TURBOS ARE CRAP ON CARS. Diesel and gasoline engines are totally different animals, I'd advise you sell it to a dodge driving dumbass and buy a solid setup turbo for our car!

Wow, you might want to take a read thru this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57852
Oh yeah, the Cummins Turbo Diesel(used in the Dodge trucks) has been around longer than most asian car companies. It's original use was as a generator motor, and they still are today. Know of more than one running low 12's. 4 door, 4x4 duellies, weighing twice as much as a Supra. Those "dodge driving dumbasses" will happily leave you sucking their exhaust fumes, and at 300,000 mi.'s, the motor is just getting broke in good :)

OP: You might contact Flubyux2, as I believe he is looking for a turbo like that to try on his car. If you want to sell it, that is.

supra_kid101

Oct 28, 2007
gilberjj said:
be a guinnea pig.... DOOO EET

words of inspiration....well since my block is .40 overbore maybe larger displacement might help a little bit....whats the worst thing that could happen besides not spool?....i'll give it a try and keep everyone posted (it'll be awhile since i'm waiting on new rings, bearings and a connecting rod

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
The small overbore won't help that much... A redline of 8,000rpm will though.
I'd look into lots of nitrous, the best internals money can buy, and lots of race gas, and it'll be fast. Not saying it will be practical on the street... but fast down the 1/4

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
Wills7MGTE said:

Tell that to the dsm and honda guys that run those turbos with great success.

Suprakid go look around on one of the dsm site's for more info, there are several of them that have ran into the 10's with that turbo.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Wills7MGTE said:
I'd advise you sell it to a dodge driving dumbass...

Im sorry... am i going to have to kill you? your not Trying to hurt my feelings, are you?

Cummins FTMFW!

an HX35 and an HX40 would work on our cars, as ive outlined in my other thread, which was posted earlier.

i even talked it out w/ Jon and he pointed out that not many other people "get it" like he and i do when it comes to putting diesel turbos on gas motors. i mean, if it was as bad an idea as YOU say it is, GReddy would have never made money. you DO know that every single GReddy turbo is a Mitsubishi unit meant for diesel applications, right?

the only catch (that jon pointed out and i confirmed) is that the onset of boost is insanely fast... as in, a matter of a few hundred RPM's. on my truck, i can go from 5psi cruising at 50mph and 1500rpm to 38psi by 55mph and 1700rpm. put that boost characteristic on a gas motor with higher levels of exhaust energy and youll have a car thats nothing short of Scary to drive.