Questioning my turbo choice...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
They're actually lighter and faster than the stock wheels/tires.
And the truck see's more truckpulls than 1/4 runs.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
If you are looking to unload the turbo for close to what you paid, shoot me a PM. If you end up not running it on your 7m, I'll be the guinea pig and toss it on my 1j. No need to let 70lbs/min go to waste.

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
I bet if you knew your way around mega squirt you could the VGT to run with a 7M. And from my understand of what megasquirt can do it shouldn't be too hard once you figure out the turbo itself and how the vains work in relation to exhaust pressure

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
[ I'd advise you sell it to a dodge driving dumbass and buy a solid setup turbo for our car![/QUOTE]

Another Dodge guy here! I've got a 92 w250 and a 97 3500 dually both Cummins diesels. I'm rebuilding the trans in the 92 as we speak with all the trick DTT stuff I can get, including a low stall convertor.
If you decide you want to sell that turbo, sell it to me I'll put it where it belongs!!!LOL

In all reality, save yourself some hassle, figure out exactly what you want and buy the correct parts for that goal in the beginning. I started off with the 3K K27 3070 turbo, It was cool, but now 2 upgrades later I have a precision 71. Wayyy Bettter. By the way, the k27 is sitting safely stored if anyone is looking.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeaaahh..at 13xxlb/ft torque figure sounds alot more along the lines what i would expect from a 600rwhp 12valve. thats one hell of a truck. i wish i had enough money to support the supra and my truck. my truck is a 2wd standard cab lonb bed. it weighs in at 5880lbs. its about as light as a diesel dodge can get in stock trim. itd be a perfect platform to go racing with... short of not having 4WD.

megasquirt doesnt support stepper motors. i was just looking at them a few hours ago. they only support solenoid things, at least for IAC.

DTT has good stuff. alot of guys recommend goerends but i might just as well go for DTT parts. id like to get an 1800rpm stall converter with a billet stator, single disc. thats about all the stall a stock trans can take. anything stalling under 1800 puts the front pump at too low of an rpm to build enough line pressure to hold the clutch packs together. not alot of people know that but i read just about all the info i could find on DTT's site/forum. btw, are YOU a trans builder? i was wanting to find someone who could modify a stock 47RE valve body to help raise my line pressure and firm up my shifts w/o having to shell out $300+.

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
I have only built a few 727's and this is my first 518. I used a service manual and also called DTT a handful of times to ask about things I'm not sure of. I read alot of internet also. lol Are you a member to Dieseltruckresouce. If not, check it out Awesome Dodge truck forum. Tons of info and really helpful guys there. I didn't know you can raise the line pressure by using that 47re vb! I will be definately looking into that.
Do you know what psi of line pressure you would be looking for?

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
I only had stable boost after i went with tubular manifold and external w/g. The turbo was fantastic. quick spool, capable of high boost, etc. Jon M from MDC is begging me to sell him the turbo back to him. Contrarty to many people's opinions and from my personal experience running the thing on a DD for over a year, i think its an outstanding turbo for someone wanting a quick as hell street car. It's loud too.. Anti-surge comp housing makes for a sweet loud whistle. its a head turner! Just ask Jon, he'll concur. Ask 3 or 4 of my friends, they'll agree with me that its a sweet setup for a respectable street car.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
DL, i dunno if you can throw a 47re valve body on a 518 tranny... i doubt it. maybe its possible for a 727 since the 47re is supposedly derived from the 727, just an additional overdrive unit incorporated in the tailshaft housing. im registered on DTR but i spend most of my time posting on cumminsforum. as far as line pressure, not sure what im gonna need but i think my PCM goes into limp mod when the governor pressure sensor reads 108psi or higher. it say Gov press sens voltage offset-too high. it gets stuck in 3rd gear and wont downshift. i think DTT sells a clamp or a filter to keep the PCM from seeing too high a voltage tho.

SupraD... i can Definitly relate to the part-throttle whistle. my truck is extremely loud while im just cruising in Overdrive. and at 30+psi, it drowns out the whistle from semitrucks as i pass them. maybe i ought to try a 14cm or 16cm housing. people tend to "upgrade" their stockers on their truck after doing mods since the 12cm is too restrictive and the EGT's creep too high. when they switch out the housings, their EGT's do go down.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
mmmmm you know how nice it is to be looking at hx40 compressor and turbine maps right now to bad i can post them lol

id be very warey of trying to control the vgt on that turbo. theres alot of things you arnt thinking about as far as control. since its a stepper motor a major concern is overshoot you could want 20lbs of boost be at 15 so it starts squeezing the vg to speed the turbo up then you overshoot and get 25 it could be a very scary thing. also you need to remember that the turbo puts out flow not really psi so since the 7m breathes different than the cummins it was originally wrong the pressure ratios you see are at different flows than the turbow as matched for so surge and overspeed limits could be hit without you knowing. if you can get me the exact truck the turbo came off of i will try to find a production map and plot the 7ms breathing lines on it

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
flubyux2 said:
SupraD... i can Definitly relate to the part-throttle whistle. my truck is extremely loud while im just cruising in Overdrive. and at 30+psi, it drowns out the whistle from semitrucks as i pass them. maybe i ought to try a 14cm or 16cm housing. people tend to "upgrade" their stockers on their truck after doing mods since the 12cm is too restrictive and the EGT's creep too high. when they switch out the housings, their EGT's do go down.

yea my EGT's got pretty high too, i dont remember the #s as it's been down for 4 months now. It's gonna be a monster when im done :)

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
that turbo will work on our car, it will spool right around 3-3500rpm, just talk to mdc he'll be able to tell you what u need to know, and i know they work because krister and some of his buddies there in finland are running the hx50 and hx55 turbos with no issues and good results. . i will be running the hx40 soon then upgrading to the hx55 or even hx60. . .
i believe mdc ditched the hy35 because he was trying to make it kind of a bolt on turbo and wasnt haveing any luck esspecially with major boost creep, everyone else ive seen run them have done either a adaptor or long tube manifold with a external wastegate with no issues what so ever....

like it has been pointed out greddy,and others such as garret, borg warner wouldnt have made any money what so ever, all of thier turbos were either disigned to a desiel application or came straight off a desiel application.
the only desiel turbos i know we can run are chevys, and the ford f250 6.4L because they are vain pressure controlled, we can run the turbos off of. . . .
-any dogde cummings turbo
-ford 7.3L (non vain controlled)
-izuzu npr moving truck which uses a holset turbo iirc

just talk to anyone of the guys posted here with good info, or jon @ mdc or krister over on sf (i dno if he's on here)

thanks
-sean

ps.
ill post some pics. . . .

Last edited:

supra_kid101

Oct 28, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Alpinesupra said:
one of his buddies with the hx50 on a 7m

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5751/cimg2641ma7.jpg
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7352/cimg2642la4.jpg

Here's kristers engine bay. The Holset HX50/55 is about of a size of an GT42 on the outside according to him.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/8051/cimg3443lj0.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3631/cimg3444pt9.jpg

thanks
-sean

Thanks for the information. I'm currently saving for an exhaust manifold and external wastegate for the turbo.