Pic/vid of my homemade $130 Exhaust...

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
isnms - look's like a good price from that place too.

da89soup - the 2JZ has been collecting dust unfortunately:3d_frown: I was all set to drop it in when I had to put life on hold for a bit to make a career type decision. I had the chance to take a good job in Dubai, but I recently got a better offer here in Houston..so it looks like I will be staying here. It will be project time again soon...:biglaugh: I am going to give my soup a new red paint job too, it needs it.

Don't know if I will have her running for TX2K8, it's not far away. Should be there in the daily driver at least though so maybe I can meet up with some of you Supramania regulars.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you'll see Michelle and I there, hopefully if everything goes right my car will be damn near STRAIGHT and looking decent...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
yankiwi;903031 said:
OK, more info I remembered.

The Mandrel bend was bought from ebay. The seller is performance-curve. I just put 'mandrel' in the ebay search and it comes up. They also sell stainless, mine is steel, the cost right now is $26.99 + $15 shipping. I just checked.

The Magnaflow was picked up from ebay too, I can't remember the sellers name, I did this project 8-9 months ago. I just searched ebay now and the best I found is $93 shipped. That is still a good price.

Here's a pic of the bend.

p905746_1.jpg

The only thing I can find for this price is aluminized steel. I come up with $240.00 for the stainless steel pieces and the magnaflow muffler. It will probably cost me fifty dollars to have it welded so it's still about $300.00 but not like the $130.00 you paid. Can the aluminized steel be welded by a normal welder or does it have to be welded by something that welds aluminum? Will it also weld up to the stainless steel pipe if I can't find the aluminized pipe?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
suprahero;905746 said:
The only thing I can find for this price is aluminized steel. I come up with $240.00 for the stainless steel pieces and the magnaflow muffler. It will probably cost me fifty dollars to have it welded so it's still about $300.00 but not like the $130.00 you paid. Can the aluminized steel be welded by a normal welder or does it have to be welded by something that welds aluminum? Will it also weld up to the stainless steel pipe if I can't find the aluminized pipe?
Aluminized is a coating. its put on the pipe to keep away the rust. a normal welder welds it fine!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks CK, I did some research on it and found out the same thing. I might order these from Summitt. I found some things in their catalog a while ago. I think the pricing is the same as the ebay and I know I can trust them.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
suprahero;905957 said:
Thanks CK, I did some research on it and found out the same thing. I might order these from Summitt. I found some things in their catalog a while ago. I think the pricing is the same as the ebay and I know I can trust them.

I have used summit tubing before and it arrived perfect!

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
yankiwi;903410 said:
Don't know if I will have her running for TX2K8, it's not far away. Should be there in the daily driver at least though so maybe I can meet up with some of you Supramania regulars.

There are a bunch of us going so it should be a good time. See you there!!:icon_bigg

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Mine sounds a lot deeper than that (full 3" turbo back with same Magnaflow muffler)

Maybe it's just my speakers, either way sounds great!

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Jay - Looks like you already got your questions answered, but my exhaust is all aluminized steel, and it welds fine. Keep in mind all you need is one of these bends + a straight length of pipe. It would probably not be so cost effective if you use stainless and have someone weld it. I posted this up for a cheap way for some people to get a nice exhaust.

da89soup - I will look out for you guys at TX2K8....

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
which exhaust shop in town did you get those pieces from? I'm gonna go the same route but use a Vibrant Performance muffler cuz of the stock look it'll give.

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
Looks and sounds good. Ive been helping my brother weld up a similar exhaust this week. He bought a few "J" bends and a 2.5 in/out magnaflow for his s52 swapped bmw e30, also off ebay. Its a sweet project!

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Got Boost - The bends and muffler were bought off ebay. But I got the straight pipe at a local shop in Clear Lake, it is a mineike or however you spell it! I just went in and asked if I could buy some pipe, paid $20 for a 10ft length.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks for the write up. I ended up getting my pipe from summit. They have the fastest shipping of any company in the world. I still have to buy my straight pipe, but I'm buying a welder tomorrow so I should be able to do my own exhaust for my car and my wife's.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Hey Craig that looks and sounds great! I wished I was as crafty as you. I plan on being at some of TX2K8 and hope to see you there. It's been a while.

Off topic, but do you remember Juan? He moved back to Argentina last year but has been in town for a few days. I had dinner with him tonight. He's flying a Citation II for the gov't down there now and they brought it to Dallas for both engine overhauls. He's got hair now!!

Ken

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
How bad does your exhaust drone at highway speeds and on decelleration? I have a 3" exhust with a 18" glasspack and a megan gt muffler and the drone is just killing me lol

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
madhatter - I don't notice any drone, it keeps a nice tone at highway speeds. Its actually pretty quiet when cruising.

Ken - Thanks for the update, I guess we can't call him Baldy anymore!! If you talk to Juan before he goes say hi from me. I am glad he is flying back home, he always seemed to miss it.
As for TX2K8, I hope to make a few of the days. I am on vacation early March and I will be going to NZ, so I will have to see how many days off I can get later that month. Let me know what days you will be here, I will give you my number and we can meet up.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
themadhatter;907366 said:
How bad does your exhaust drone at highway speeds and on decelleration? I have a 3" exhust with a 18" glasspack and a megan gt muffler and the drone is just killing me lol

i have the same thing with 3in elbow and downpipe from 935motorsports. my girlfriend hates riding in my car and the nieghbors know everytime i come home...:nono:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
yankiwi;907638 said:
madhatter - I don't notice any drone, it keeps a nice tone at highway speeds. Its actually pretty quiet when cruising.

Ken - Thanks for the update, I guess we can't call him Baldy anymore!! If you talk to Juan before he goes say hi from me. I am glad he is flying back home, he always seemed to miss it.
As for TX2K8, I hope to make a few of the days. I am on vacation early March and I will be going to NZ, so I will have to see how many days off I can get later that month. Let me know what days you will be here, I will give you my number and we can meet up.

Juan is suppose to call me tomorrow and come by the fire station. He is flying back to Argentina tomorrow night. I will tell him you said hi. Funny thing is, he misses Texas and wants to come back!
When I find out which days I'll be down there I'll send you a PM and we can hopefully set something up.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
Here is mine:
1, 3in mild steel flange local shop $9
1, catco 3in cat $59.39
1, 3in U-bend(plenty of extra to be used for turbo intake or testpipe) $24.95
1, magnaflow #12198 $81.95
1, 2.5in U-bend $19.95
2, steel glasspacks $21.95ea
Total of approximately $240 for a complete exhaust. or 180 w/o a cat.

put it together like this. Add turn downs like I did for now, or pipe it to the ass like am am going to once I get my bumper fitted.

linked for huge
http://www.holdbrooks.mynuts.org/Dec%2030 2007 007.JPG