Passing emisions with a FFIM

t4boost

I gotta have my boost!
Mar 23, 2007
Arizona
Has anyone here with a RonR. FFIM gone through emisions? passed failed? Sorry if this is a repost.

t4boost

I gotta have my boost!
Mar 23, 2007
Arizona
Anyone.... Ok then if not does anyone know how to pass without using EGR since the EGR is not used in FFIM designs.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
just an fyi usually 1 bump per 24 hours is accepted.

i have a ron r. ffim and i have not yet tried to pass emissions in dfw because i am currently out at school in nac. depending on age of car you can actually be exempt.

t4boost

I gotta have my boost!
Mar 23, 2007
Arizona
I thought emisions was requied for all cars after '67
Sorry about the bump, I had no idea about the rule.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
t4boost said:
I thought emisions was requied for all cars after '67
Sorry about the bump, I had no idea about the rule.

nope, you think all those old school muscle cars are passing emissions? usually the rule of thumb in most states is 25+ years and the car becomes a classic and isnt required to be emission tested.

yes it does vary from state to state so check with your local DOT or DPS.

I believe the rational for this was that emissions equipment starts to become iffy at best and not worth it to repair

dont sweat it too much there t4, i saw you were pretty new so i didnt ream ya too bad, just watch out next time and check out the rules in the introduction section.

Last edited:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
virginia: https://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/emissions.asp
Certain motor vehicles are exempted from emissions inspections. This includes:

* Any gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year and with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds (i.e. on January 1, 2006, vehicles with a model year of 1981 are exempt from emissions; on January 1, 2007, vehicles with a model year of 1982 are exempt from emissions).

Arizona: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20071800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-5558.htm
....HB 2357 amends Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) Section 49-542 by
exempting vehicles that are at least 15 years old or are of a unique
and rare design and that carry collectible vehicle insurance that
restricts the mileage and/or use of the vehicle ...

Like i said it varies......

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I hope you guys are not selectively reading

"January 1 of the current calendar year and with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds"

AND....

that means Older tha Jan 1 AND has to be 10,000 lbs or more!!! I know our pigs are heavy but good lord!!!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
theres more to the law and was jsut an example but thanks figgle ;) hoping this kicks people into gear to find out more about their state laws

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
HellsLegion said:
In Arizona it probably wont be too much trouble.

Ummm...yeah it will. Tried to pass AZ emissions w/out an EGR last summer...treid every trick I know. Couldn't do it (4 tries)...finally had to install the EGR and it passed the 5th try with flying colors.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
In California intake manifolds are considered a grey area. It can be any design you want as long as it has all the factory smog equipment atached to it. I would think it would be the same for Arizona since Califonria has some of the toughest smog laws.

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
I not sure about the supra, cause I just got mine. but with my old car I didn't have a egr hooked up (j-spec motor didn't come with it). all I did was make sure that all the lines to the purge sensors were hooked up and it passed no problem.

again not sure how the supra's egr works but on ford's/mazda's all you need is the vac. lines hooked up to keep the cel from coming on.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
jdub said:
Ummm...yeah it will. Tried to pass AZ emissions w/out an EGR last summer...treid every trick I know. Couldn't do it (4 tries)...finally had to install the EGR and it passed the 5th try with flying colors.

I thought Arizona was rather lenient, Along with Florida.

I guess not!

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
the egr in CA is a visual and functional test (check with vac pump). During the smog test itself the egr is not even functioning.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Say what? That's just plain wrong. The EGR must not only be functional during the test but the test itself is designed around it. Why do you think ASM loaded mode enhanced emissions testing was mandated over the older two speed idle test to begin with? What do you think the entire point of using the dyno is? It's to test for NOx and EGR is the system that controls NOx. In that sense EGR is *the* reason they put the car on a dyno in the first place.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
One other thing, manifolds are not a gray area anywhere. There are federal standards, and yes state state standards. California is higher than the feds, yes.

No part on a car can be replaced in the US unless it proves not to be a polluter during a test. This is why many non polluting performance parts are still classified off road use only. It costs money to have the test done.

Last edited:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
yes in ca you cant even change the filter legaly unless you have a EO CARB sticker with number to aprove the mod intakes are illegal.

My brother working at dodge told me even some of the new cars dont come with EGR at all i was confused i thought it was a visual check that all cars had to pass.