Passing emisions with a FFIM

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
EGR isn't a requirement on new cars, low NOx is. Variable cam timing has eliminated EGR on Toyota also. VVTi for the win.

However, it is illegal to "tamper" with any emission control device in the US. My downpipe included.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
True, many cars no longer have EGR. Lots of older ones didn't either. I own a 1981 vehicle that doesn't have EGR yet still passes because of the cat's larger reduction bed.

The point was loaded emissions (Enhanced Testing) came into being because of the requirement for testing NOx. The two speed idle (Basic Testing) only measures HC and CO. What T344 was referring to is the functional EGR valve check done during basic testing. It was a half-assed way to "test" for NOx that is still used in areas where basic is done but obsolete where enhanced testing is performed, such as where he lives. If he watched the emissions tech doing his car he wouldn't see a functional test of the EGR valve being done because there's no need for it.

If you think e-testing is a hassle now just wait. With the recent supreme court decision forcing EPA to control CO2 and new laws just passed in Cali it's going to get very interesting. CO2 is an indicator of combustion efficiency. The cleaner an engine (under current rules) runs the more CO2 it produces. Can you say Catch 22?

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
florida is great about emissions. There is no testing required. Shops are not allowed to remove emissions equipment, and you're "not supposed to drive a car on the streets that has modified emissions." But really, no one cares. At most you'll get an exhaust ticket for not having a cat (usually means you got pulled over for having an obnoxious exhaust by a cop who didn't have anything better to do at the moment).

I have no emissions gear left, all sorts of "for offroad use only" stuff, and an RSR exhaust with a resonator welded in where the catilytic converter once was. Have yet to run into trouble with it.

The car runs clean and has a good note to it. Most of the time I just get a smiling thumbs up from cops when I cruise by.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock said:
If you think e-testing is a hassle now just wait. With the recent supreme court decision forcing EPA to control CO2 and new laws just passed in Cali it's going to get very interesting. CO2 is an indicator of combustion efficiency. The cleaner an engine (under current rules) runs the more CO2 it produces. Can you say Catch 22?

To add to what JJ is saying,

My reply would go in the politics section, but since it was already brought up...This is intentional, and the smog nazi's know it. That is why it is a fight. Certain groups do not want people driving cars, because a car is freedom. That is the bottom line. They will do whatever they can to limit freedom.