Part out or finish?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
:1zhelp:

Well, on my quest to get a z06 I need to slim down my cars. I was hoping to get a nice sized down payment to put towards the car, but I was adding how much I need to spend to finish my 1.5 car and its quite a bit. so less down :(

I still need LOTs of parts to get it running. Then the exterior is shot so itll need paint. I'm looking at ~ 4k.. probably more.

After its finished I was planning to sell for like 10k. So thats 6k I'd make minus the 4 i put into it. I'm not sure if Ican get 6k parting out the peices I got, but would also save probably 100 hours of work on the car.

I need..
1j bellhoungs, clutch, timing belts & tensoner, waterpump, Misc Gaskets, arp head studs, a clutch, Oil lines for the single, Make the exhuast (still need ~200 in parts for it), bov.. I'm sure theres more..

What the car is a lower milage (103K) 91 blue w/ nice blue cloth interior, exterior is gone, a few rust spots that'll be $$ to fix.. otherwise is pretty straight.. I have a 2jz tt block, 1jz head, intake manifold, Greddy manifold, greddy type r wastegate, ITS t67 turbo, mkiv 550s, aristo harness and ecu (not wired yet) 4" exhaust parts, afc, avcr, greddy gauges, apexi tt, 18x8.5 & 18x10 wheels.. etc..

Maybe sell as an unfinished project? but not sure how much I can get? I'd hope for 5, but thats very optimistic...

Here is an old pic of the car, shows the piss poor exterior condition.. Clear is pealing all over it.. shitty paintjob ftl
bye1j.JPG

I'm not sure what to do. The mk3 market isn't that great so will take time to sell (i'm figure 6-10 months at my asking price), but at least make some $ back. If I part out I'll lose some money probably, but save agrivation. Thats if I can sell all the parts.. Not sure what to do.

I dont have that much flex money right now, only ~ 500 a month disposable income, so would take almost 8+ months to just get the money to finish everything.... :(

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I say keep it.Finish it.Make 600+hp.Go rape a zo6. And have cheaper insurance/no car note.Oh and leave the paint for sleeper purposes. ;)

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
If you do decide to part it out, I would probably take that 2J block off your hands. Does it need anything to make it ready to run?

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
RedEj8 said:
I say keep it.Finish it.Make 600+hp.Go rape a zo6. And have cheaper insurance/no car note.Oh and leave the paint for sleeper purposes. ;)

on his insurance the Z06 isn't any different than his mkiii, so thats not a factor.

me myself i'd say add up the money for the parts and see what it comes to. otherwise i dunno

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I don't see a problem with you selling it for 10K when fixed if you weed out the cheap asses.

I could see you getting `3K in part out, not including the turbo...

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
I wouldn't part it out after all that hard work , specially 2jz in mk3 . I'd say take your time + save some more money and finish that baby up.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
this one is not 2JZ. he's not selling the black car. this one was originally singled 1JZ like in the pic. now its an unfinished 1.5J

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
- Finish it if you plan to keep it.
- Part out if you plan to sell it after finish. This will save you a lot of time, headache, curse, smacking fingers, frustration. I mean the whole 9 yards.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
finish it man...i had to abort my project because of financial reasons..... now i regret it...

i have a 1jz bell housing for sale if your interested...its brand spanking new. never even got to install it

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
If starscream5000's estimate is of $3k is good, and the $4k, that you save from the paint job, that's another $7k for your Z06 downpayment.

4 more things to think about:

1. spending $4k on the paint job will not add $4k to the street value of your car.
2. You'll save 100 hours of labor
3. More downpayment = less interest payment
4. You probably have been thinking hard about the Z06.

Listen to yourself, you're probably right. Save yourself the aggravation. Part out. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Z06. Buy the Z06, get in, and have some fun driving it!

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
If starscream5000's estimate is of $3k is good, and the $4k, that you save from the paint job, that's another $7k for your Z06 downpayment.

4 more things to think about:

1. spending $4k on the paint job will not add $4k to the street value of your car.
2. You'll save 100 hours of labor
3. More downpayment = less interest payment
4. You probably have been thinking hard about the Z06.

Listen to yourself, you're probably right. Save yourself the aggravation. Either part out, people are already interested in some of your parts, or sell the unfinished project. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Z06. Buy the Z06, get in, and have some fun driving it.

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
89TurboPC said:
- Finish it if you plan to keep it.
- Part out if you plan to sell it after finish. This will save you a lot of time, headache, curse, smacking fingers, frustration. I mean the whole 9 yards.

:bigthumb:

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
finish the project or you regret it ..I would finish it and drive it and if you still think you want a Z06 then get one.. Its poor form to just bail on unfinished projects .

Jason