Overheating!!!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Back on topic, though, I think the best option for the O.P. would be to get a motor from one of these importers, and get it rebuilt. Then get new timing belt, water pump, t.stat., have radiator checked and cleaned(if not getting a new one), and replace all the hoses. Check under the hood WEEKLY!!! All the fluids, look for leaks, check the belts, etc. Either that or sell it for parts.

Old cars require maintenance, care, and constant attention. Its people who don't do it that keep people like me busy...

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
cuel said:
Ummm, he drove it until it quit, with white smoke pouring out of the engine bay.

he also said it started and got home fine(not saying it was ok to drive it big no no)......in all seriousness check as much as you can if it turns over do a compression test.

and like AJ said our stock gauges may not be the most responsive in the world but their better than nothing. I check my gauges atleast 5 times every 30 min when im driving sometimes more, I rather see somethin start to happen than catch it after its happened.

but i dont recommend checking gauges while your in traffic or hard rain or both eyes on the road use all of your eye sight just gotta remember where they are normally and itll become second nature.

cuel speaks the truth you gotta keep up with these cars.

good luck.

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
Yeah its a hard lesson learned, cause the past couple of times i drove it the temp gauge when kinda high but i never drove it long enough to get it all the way to the top, then that night it went past the two red lines and as i was pulling it over it shut down. I wouldn't say the smoke was pouring out, but it was smokin, and after it cooled off it started up and drove like nuttin happend, WEIRD. I haven't check it yet been raining like a bitch here and i'm definatly scared to start it. From my minimal knowlegde of cars my first thought was the thermostat or the cooling system, not a BHG, but reading around here it seems common.

Do you guys think i should start the car again or get it towed to a shop?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
AJ'S 88NA said:
You've got to watch your gauges thats what they are there for. When its running OK you check em, then you know if temp, oil press.,amps, etc. changes there is something wrong. Temp gauge pegged, something seriously wrong.DO NOT DRIVE:nono: TOW

Pretty much it:icon_bigg, at least I think.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Ok, he said when it cooled down he drove it home fine. His motor is NOT TOAST. You guys jump to conclusions way too fast. Search around, a bunch of ppl have red-lined their motors and had them be fine, INCLUDING ME.

This is what you need to do dude: Check and change your oil. Find the problem in your cooling system. Do a compression test and a block test (coolant test for exhaust gasses). Those tests will tell you if you're ok.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Well thats only if he unbolts it lol

If compression tests and block tests are fine, then he should jus drive it and leave it alone, besides fixing the coolant problem lol

Mine overheated, but never any steam or anything like that lol, i noticed it pretty quickly

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Would it be safe to say that IF, the engine is toast, it wouldn't do any more harm in starting it to see if in fact is messed up?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
chris717 said:
go to sleep its passed your bedtime.. old fella
you should stop trying to be funny and help people out..
You fail. IJ has been one of the most helpful people in this community. Just because he said something you didn't want to hear doesn't mean you should go make [incorrect] attacks at him. Welcome to my ignore list.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Burntz said:
Well thats only if he unbolts it lol

If compression tests and block tests are fine, then he should jus drive it and leave it alone, besides fixing the coolant problem lol

Mine overheated, but never any steam or anything like that lol, i noticed it pretty quickly
Yeah maybe he got lucky and it might last a little while longer if it checks out, but I would also be checking my other choises(rebuild, JDM,etc.) to see what way I could afford, and what I want the car for(ie. transportation, project car, etc)

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Lol, I love it. He drove it till it quit, but the motor could be ok because it started and ran "fine." I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen bhg's, melted pistons, cracked heads, bent and burnt valves, all kinds of shit from people driving a car they know is running hot. I have yet to see one survive that type of abuse unscathed.

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
Alright guys a little bit of an update: There was a break in the rain so i decided to go out and look the engine over, using the TSRM i found out where the important stuff for the cooling system was. I popped out the thing where the themostat was and dudes, i have never seen a rustier thing in my life! It was open too, so i thought maybe it rusted itself open all the time and the car don't know what to do. So went to pepboys and got a new one and switched it out, easy stuff. I started the car and it started with a lil give of the gas, let it run for 45 mins, the temp guage never went past halfway. I decided to drive it around for a bit, drove for maybe 20 mins, and the temp guage stayed halfway the whole time!

So the themostat was the only thing wrong? Should i still flush out the coolant? Oh and the oil did look a little funky even though it was changed about 2 weeks ago (only had car for 3 weeks now).

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Da Bushman said:
So the themostat was the only thing wrong? Should i still flush out the coolant? Oh and the oil did look a little funky even though it was changed about 2 weeks ago (only had car for 3 weeks now).
You should do a compression check. I would be surprised if you didn't damage something else when it overheated. If your head gasket is fine I would recommend retorquing the head bolts.

You should still flush the coolant.

Define "funky".

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
cuel said:
Lol, I love it. He drove it till it quit, but the motor could be ok because it started and ran "fine." I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen bhg's, melted pistons, cracked heads, bent and burnt valves, all kinds of shit from people driving a car they know is running hot. I have yet to see one survive that type of abuse unscathed.
Yeah I know I said it might last a little longer. Looks like he didn't change the oil like somebody told him. So I guess it might last a little less longer:nono:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
cuel said:
Ummm, he drove it until it quit, with white smoke pouring out of the engine bay. Yeah, it MIGHT be salvageable, but it is definitely not in good working order. It quit because it seized up. He got lucky that he was able to start it again after adding some water and letting it cool down, but then he drove it again...
At the very least(with a lot of good luck), it only has a blown head gasket.

Bushman: Pull the dipstick, and see what color the oil is. Does it look like a cheap gas station capacchino?
Looks like CUEL nailed it pretty close too. Don't look too good Bushman, sorry.