Overheating!!!

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Da Bushman said:
Oh, geez now how did the water get in there? Will it eventually burn off or should i be changing it again?
:rofl: sorry, not laughing at you....just the way you worded that.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Lmao, bushman, that sounded so funny

basically, water can only get in a few ways: you poured water in threw the oil cap (j/k), you cracked somethin (head, block), or GASP, your headgasket blew and coolant is leaking into the cylinder and down past the rings into your oil

does your oil look almost milky? like chocolate milk? is thier bubbles in it? do you get white smoke out of your exhaust?

go get a block test from autozone, that'll tell you if you hav a bhg

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
Burntz said:
Lmao, bushman, that sounded so funny

basically, water can only get in a few ways: you poured water in threw the oil cap (j/k), you cracked somethin (head, block), or GASP, your headgasket blew and coolant is leaking into the cylinder and down past the rings into your oil

does your oil look almost milky? like chocolate milk? is thier bubbles in it? do you get white smoke out of your exhaust?

go get a block test from autozone, that'll tell you if you hav a bhg

Lol, it was late so my typing matched exactly what i was thinking and thats what came out, lol.

Anyways, i drove the car a bunch today, did some errands and prolly drove around for 2 plus hours and nuttin, it was acting like if nothing even happened, the temp guage never whent past the middle. Futher inspection of the engine block itself looks like its leaking oil though, and there are black spots ending up on the ground under the car. So i went to pep boys and bought a engine cleaner treatment thing that seals and protects, i poured it in and went along my way and dudes, it drives much better and idles smoother, i couldn't believe it.

But there is still oil on the engine block, that means something is leaking, how do i find out where?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Sorry for the slight thread hj jack but -

What would happen if a car was continuously driven with a BHG, and then someone did a basic HG job on it. Would it be obvious if terminal has been done?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Idk, I've been driving around on one and am about to fix it, we'll find out haha

Bush: Clean the block,a nd it should be obvious where its from. Have you checked your oil and coolant for obvious signs of a bad headgasket?

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Bushman, another thing you can try is a dye. Not sure what it is called but JJ has referred to it a few times. Basically you put a dye in the engine, drive around, and use a black light to trace the dye. It will lead you straight to the leak. If I am wrong about the stuff, can someone correct me, or at least say what it is called.
LOL, when I read your posts, and you say "dudes", all of the sudden I think in my head that you have an Australian accent.:biglaugh:

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
Burntz said:
Idk, I've been driving around on one and am about to fix it, we'll find out haha

Bush: Clean the block,a nd it should be obvious where its from. Have you checked your oil and coolant for obvious signs of a bad headgasket?

It looks good, no signs of BHG: oil looks ok, no smoke and its running better now, so maybe the overheating is what it needed lol :biglaugh:

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
IJ. said:
It'll make a nice coffee table ;)

got one of those.

the joys of Toyota reliability baby!!

as far as this car goes. Forget the colour of the oil, if it's sat for a long time it could be a "funky colour" for many reasons. how is the level? is it higher than it was when you filled it?

fill the cooling system to the top, and run it, after running (and cooling off again) how is the coolant level? did some disappear? is it blowing white smoke?

for gods sakes, drain that oil before you do anything, and shine a flashlight into it, is it metallic/shiny? can you see your reflection in it?

once you get the oil changed, fire it up and run the rest of these test. Run ALL of them, and come back to me with answers for it.

the final test. With you standing over the engine and it running, is there a "clack" sound? not a faint electronic "click" but a distinct and deep "clack"

also, read this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19859

I don't mind helping you thru, but I don't want you to just go "oh I'm sure it'll be ok" and then come back in a couple of weeks saying "oh my god my car died, what doez I do?!"

go thru this diagnosis procedure and we can tell you definitivly if it's blown a head gasket or not.

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
Hey Junior, thanks for the advice, but i did change the oil, i had the car now for around a month and the first thing i did was chage the oil, anybody with half a brain would :biglaugh: But i'm thinking now that since the car sat so long that the engine had some real build-up in it, so wuith this new oil change the deposits and stuff from the old oil is prolly in the new oil so that might explain the wierd look.

Anyways i'm gunna end this thread off for now, cause the car isn't overheating anymore, its been a full week now, I'm gunna drain and fill the coolant and clean off the block to check for the leak. Thanks for all the help dudes, its much appriceated and i really can't wait to share what i have planned for the car later on.

Chris

turbo toyz

moar stuff..
Jul 17, 2007
NJ
had the same prob. and i could not find out wat it was.till i went 2 a supra meet and spoke 2 sum owners and found out my head gasket was torn :cry:b so now im just rebuilding. but if u dont rebuild u must put metal head gasket if motor is ok. good luck u need it bro

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
ValgeKotkas said:
^I've read, that some have like a bit above 1/3, some half, when the temp is normal. IIRC :D
Right they do not read the same what maybe normal for one maynot be normal for the next to it... Everybody complains about the gauges not being accurate. Mine normal runs a little below halfway.

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
Burntz said:
yea mines always under alfway a bit

yep mine is a little under half, i flushed the coolant today, holy shit u guys should have seen the rusty ass liquid that came outta the car. Well i filled it up with the prestone flush and added water. It says to run for around six hours (not all in one day) then flush it out again and fill with coolant, very easy, i was surprised how well it went, lol. So i'll keep u guys informed but i think whatever it was, was fixed by changing the thermostat.