Overheating!!!

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
The other night my car overheated to the point of when it shut off. The car has been running hot the last couple of time i've driven it. It ran so hot the temp guage was way past the two red lines! So the car shut off and white smoke was coming from the engine, couldn't really see where cause it was dark and the heat coming from the engine could be felt a few feet away. Waited for it to cool down and started her up and brought her home fine.

What should i do?

Change thermostat? Or flush and fill radiator? This is my first Supra and i only had it a month, don't know what to do.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
And you kept driving it [into the red]? :aigo:

Check the coolant level, thermostat, water pump. Check for coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

You should be reasonable sure that it isn't a blown head gasket before you turn the car on again, IMO.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Get a new motor. You've already blown the head gasket, and warped the head pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised if its cracked somewhere. The rings can only take so much heat before they seize in the pistons, and stop sealing the cylinders, especially if you drove it until it quit. The oil is burnt, and probably full of water, and the bearings have been seriously compromised.

Good luck.... You need it.

Da Bushman

Team Dutti Racing
Jul 26, 2007
Queens, NY
cuel said:
Get a new motor. You've already blown the head gasket, and warped the head pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised if its cracked somewhere. The rings can only take so much heat before they seize in the pistons, and stop sealing the cylinders, especially if you drove it until it quit. The oil is burnt, and probably full of water, and the bearings have been seriously compromised.

Good luck.... You need it.

Oh man, definatly not what i expected, i messed up bad.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Don't sweat it (well, maybe a little), you're not the first, and won't be the last. Do a search for "rebuilding motor," there's a few detailed ones. You could also check somewhere like here: https://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?cPath=43

If you're motor can't be rebuilt, you might get one of their's. It's a good idea to go through them, or have a professional motor builder do it for you. Some have just dropped them in without problems, but then again, quite a few haven't. Might search "JDM motor" as well.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
^I agree with the swaqster. So, have you checked for water in the oil?? Or taken the thermostat out and tested it? Do you know how to do that stuff?? Your engine might be alright. Stranger things have happened. But running it till it shuts off?!?!? Expect the worst, hope for the best.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Ummm, he drove it until it quit, with white smoke pouring out of the engine bay. Yeah, it MIGHT be salvageable, but it is definitely not in good working order. It quit because it seized up. He got lucky that he was able to start it again after adding some water and letting it cool down, but then he drove it again...
At the very least(with a lot of good luck), it only has a blown head gasket.

Bushman: Pull the dipstick, and see what color the oil is. Does it look like a cheap gas station capacchino?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Da Bushman said:
Oh man, definatly not what i expected, i messed up bad.
You've got to watch your gauges thats what they are there for. When its running OK you check em, then you know if temp, oil press.,amps, etc. changes there is something wrong. Temp gauge pegged, something seriously wrong.DO NOT DRIVE:nono: TOW

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well YES I do I actually read his post and didn't just jump in with an uninformed comment unlike yourself..

I agree I've probably forgotten more about cars than you'll ever know but even so that still leaves me well ahead of you.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris717 said:
still not funny......:icon_neut
oh you dont know whats wrong with his car huh.. its ok people forget stuff at your age
He's not that old I've got uhh, uhh, 12 years on him. Maybe age does make you forgetful sometimes, or maybe it just ain't worth remembering:biglaugh: