Optima Batteries, who's running them?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Red top here.

Main reason i bought an Optima was because I've had normal batteries leak in my truck AND in my Supra, which quickly destroys stuff.

Red top has the most CCA, yellow top is a deep cycle (typically used on trail rigs for winches), and the blue I guess is more weather resistant...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Had a red top in my 240sx, worked perfect, switched it to my Supra and it immediately died, completely drained, would no longer hold a charge. I think my dad threw it away...

Im thinking of switching to one of those tiny odyssey batteries...

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Yellow top here. I had a red top in the Supra for about 4 years, it died after Hurricane Katrina when the car just sat for months and months. I swapped it out for a yellow top about 3 years ago....

I only start the car for about 15-20 minutes every 2-3 weeks (when I don't forget) and it's still as strong as ever. Once when I didn't start my flooded Supra for two months, it still fired it up with no issues. I've even pulled this battery out of the Supra and drug it across the yard to jump a dead vehicle.

So, another winning vote for the Yellow Top Optima. I'd probably go blue next time just because I've heard they're a bit more forgiving. Although, everything else under my engine bay will be red... lol.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Read all the replies so far... and I'm gathering that the blue is the longest lasting most durable? Although Yellow puts out more amps...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
simpsons7s;1159904 said:
I killed 2 reds and a yellow before switching to a blue and haven't had a problem since. I think it needed a marine battery because the supra is such a boat.
:biglaugh:

I run a duralast autozone battery lol.. Has like a lifetime warranty as long as i own the car.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i run a red and i think i killed it after letting it sit for over 9 months without starting (my turbo fiasco). just had a birthday so a blue might be what i swap to...

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Supra469;1159845 said:
Red, Yellow, Blue.

Was wondering what everyone's take is with them? Satisfied or not? My Die Hard of 3years is starting to flake on me so i'm looking.

I'm thinking of getting the Blue (if it will fit) if not then the Red.

Red Top here. Appears fine. Electric fans seem happy with 8ga leads for plenty of amperage. Alternator is on the list to be upgraded at some point. Battery box is from EBay and required a little shaping of the bottom plate to fit square and flush. Nothing my grinder and finishing file couldn't handle.

DSC06110small.jpg

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
the difference between the red and yellow is the yellow allows more deep cycles allowing for more draw. however is your alternator isn't up to the task (due to alot of high draw ICE) you may damage the battery by over drawing it.

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
I had two red Optima batteries in my current supra and both of them died. One died within 3yrs I believe. So I went ahead and purchased a Die Hard Platinum series battery.

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
i have a yellow in my rx7 and it has been great. i have a buddy who has had red tops in his truck for like 7 years, its his hunting truck so it sits all the time and allways starts not to mention the hell he gives that truck

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I went with the yellow top. I would suggest you do it before the old battery starts spitting on your paint:3d_frown:

Attachments

• Optima1resize.JPG
    Optima1resize.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Optima2resize.JPG
    Optima2resize.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 10

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
7MGTESUPRAMAN;1160971 said:
I had two red Optima batteries in my current supra and both of them died. One died within 3yrs I believe. So I went ahead and purchased a Die Hard Platinum series battery.

I bought one this summer with a 5 year full replacement warranty, and an extra 4 years after that I can get it replaced for a small fee (forgot the name of this type of warranty, don't know why...)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Been running a red top for ~4 years now. 2 mild winters in TN and 2 hot summers in FL and still going strong.

The tie down and some wiring has since been replaced. And I mounted it with the 'spacer' on top to prevent the possibility of shorting against the hood.

Attachments

• battery.JPG
    battery.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 17