Opps, left out head dowels. Problems?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The banjo fitting is dealer only...Champion Toyota will give you a good price.

Yep on the RTV...if you used the cork gasket for the oil pan, take it off. I used Permatex "The Right Stuff" for the oil pan sealant...worked good. The TRSM calls for Toyota FIPG....what I used is a good substitute and is easier to apply.

There are 2 oil passages on the front of the block behind the timing plate. The HG does not seal them off that far forward on the block deck. The RTV prevents oil from seeping all over the front of your motor.

Driftmotion does sell the helicoil kits...PM Bigaaron. Like I said, really easy to do with the motor on a stand ;)

Good question on the ARP torquing technique. I don't have a good answer as to why, but they should have it in the instructions with the hardware. They also say that a stretch gauge is the best (preferred) method...seems they would realize that the majority of us use a torque wrench.

JAV - looks like ARP changed the spec on the studs. The bolts do have a different spec....the one that applies to our aluminum head is 75 ft/lbs using moly for lube.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
And you went back to correct what you said about the ARP specs...that goes a long way with me ;)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I just got off the phone with ARP.

He confirmed there has been a material change, and that the spec is correct as listed on that new sheet.

The old studs still use the old spec.

So use the spec that is on the sheet in the box with the studs!

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
jetjock said:
Good. At least you don't write like a foul mouthed illiterate 14 year old punk. Now that pisses me off ;)

I try to keep a clean mouth. Besides, a long chain of explitives is rarely an objective way to describe an opinion.

Jdub- I think toyota should have made the block and head seal the oil galley w/o the timing cover. I am pretty sure i got it just right though:
sm_photo_missing.jpg