Opening Climate Control

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
why are there needed to be 4 of the 74s? i only see one that needed to be replaced is the oil gauge. which other ones did you replace? CEL, lamp failure, the 4 that are all together in the box? i was just wondering why there are 4 and i went to look at my cluster and it is one needed.

Sorry to be off topic guys....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
CRE said:
Well, that's not how most of the people I've spoken to are doing it... at least not anymore. And yes, it's ghetto. ;)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24962&highlight=blue+display

Kai found a pin compatible replacement module that's available in the most common colors and I made an adapter PCB. With the adapter I could even do pink or orange.

maybe not anymore, but all the ones I've seen have been done that way as an easy replacement wasn't available...

I may redo mine (I repaired it when I first bought the car, the buttons are still a major pain, might buy a new one), and figure out a way to match the green of the prosport gauges (I like green dash lights, easy to see)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
BorHor: I think they're cheaper from Kingbright... I'm not sure, last time I ordered them I got a bulk discount. DA04-11PBWA/A is the Common Anode display... that's what you need.

I recommend getting some 16 pin DIP IC sockets to install them with, that'll put the display at the same distance from the board as the original. Otherwise you'll need to cut down the blue plastic.. I don't like how it looks that way, but others don't mind. It also makes it easier to fix if you accidentally put one in upside down. ;)

I'll let you in on one more trick, after you remove the green plastic lens from the housing put some 35% tint in its place. It really cleans things up nicely.

Poodles: I know what you mean. The only pin compatible modules anyone had found prior to Kai's discovery were only available in red and green. Mine was done using a small piggyback PCB. I've done several using the Kingbright display though. It's a tiny bit lighter in color but it's also a brighter display.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Thanks. for checking for me CRE. I think I am going to order from mouser this time but I will look in to ordering direct for more. thanks.

Edit. You know what. I just made an account with kingbright and it is like 3 dollars cheaper lol.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The clock is a VFD, I haven't spent too much time looking for a replacement (they'll be hard to find). I prefer to build a replacement clock with additional features. ;) If you're so inclined I did post up info on the pinout for the VFD... somewhere on here.

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Hey CRE, is the 16 pin DIP IC a replacement for the blue block on the board or do you install it over the blue block? I did the cut down on the Yellow CC but not realy happy with the recessed look.

Brian

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Gargoyle said:
Hey CRE, is the 16 pin DIP IC a replacement for the blue block on the board or do you install it over the blue block? I did the cut down on the Yellow CC but not realy happy with the recessed look.

Brian

You know what an IC socket is?

IC_Socket.jpg

So you just need one with the right number of pins on each side, cut out the little plastic pieces in the middle and solder each row to the board. Then plug in the display. It's very simple and will raise the display from the board around 5-7mm.

EDIT: See my thread on the swap for specific part numbers if needed.

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Thank you CRE. I did a search and saw what they were but I wasn't able to tell from the photos if you replaced the existing block or put these on it. This cleared it up.

Brian

s!ke

JDM Tyte Yo!
Jun 17, 2006
San Jose, California
are you kidding me boris?

i SWEAR i was just telling my dad I wanted to change the LEDs in my climate control.

omg now i dont know if i should.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
HKSTechnician said:
If i remember it was some kind of colored tape. Worked well too.

What was "some kind of colored tape"? Is this what you used to change your clock's color?