Oil weight

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
What is the best oil to use? I'm running Mobil1 15w50 at the moment and I was reading on the MR2 forum that most of them agree that 5w20 is the best for their cars and they say that a heavier oil like 15w50 is not good to run because of how long it takes to warm up and disperse throughout the engine producing some engine wear. I'm now going to use 5w20 in my Turbo MR2, but what do you guys think is best for the 1JZGTE? The only reason why I use 15w50 is because on the back of the container it says, "Formulated for turbo, supercharged and other high performance vehicles." Is this the stuff to use or should I go with something lighter because what the MR2 guys are saying applies?

Last edited:

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
swaq said:

After reading all of that, and plenty in the "Motor oil and Lubricants" section of this forum, I would never run anything other than a 0w or 5w.

The only draw back to those (thin initial values) seems to be that lesser oils (and their add pack) break down quicker. When they break down they run at the thinner viscosity. Seems to me that regular changes would avoid that situation.

There is an oil guru around here, im sure he will chime in :)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Freshmaker said:
After reading all of that, and plenty in the "Motor oil and Lubricants" section of this forum, I would never run anything other than a 0w or 5w.

The only draw back to those (thin initial values) seems to be that lesser oils (and their add pack) break down quicker. When they break down they run at the thinner viscosity. Seems to me that regular changes would avoid that situation.

The top brand oils dont break down very easily and can easily run extended oil change intervals without issues. Best way to see the Oil health is to send it out to a lab and have it tested.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
Freshmaker said:

i agree 0w 0r 5w. if you want the best go with amsoil, royal purple,or redline, they are the only true full synthetics. after that id say castrol syntec, penzoil platinum.

still waiting for jdub. :biglaugh:

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
tissimo said:
The top brand oils dont break down very easily and can easily run extended oil change intervals without issues. Best way to see the Oil health is to send it out to a lab and have it tested.

I meant the add pack breaks down, thus making it function more like the lighter weight oil. I run dino oil and change it every 3k, but I get my oil for free. Family business FTW. :naughty:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
OneJoeZee said:
I run ATF Dexron-III in my engine.
that stuff gives you too much horsepower! I had to switch back to regular motor oil cause it would just light the tires in 4th gear roll on

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
lololol im gonna do an oil change soon and im gonna run Redline Heavy Shockproof. should protect from ANY rod knock!!!! should be awesome for high HP

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
The Reaper said:
did i tell you to run that??? i dont remember lolol

but anywho PREACH ON thats what im using.

nah, read what jdub wrote about it, saw it a case on sale (buy one qt get one 1/2 off) and picked it up.

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
supramike7m said:
i agree 0w 0r 5w. if you want the best go with amsoil, royal purple,or redline, they are the only true full synthetics. after that id say castrol syntec, penzoil platinum.

still waiting for jdub. :biglaugh:

I don't like royal purple and hate amsoil. I'm sure amsoil is good but I hate it for personal reasons. I rolled a bearing when using it in the 7M-GTE. That could have been the crappy 7M though. Either way, I don't like it because it was in the motor at the time. Never really used redline though. I like Mobil 1. They do all the research and everyone else gets their info from them.