Oil weight

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
swaq said:
Welcome. I got the link from Supracentral's sig.

Dr Haas has forgot more about oil than I will likely ever know. ;)

Take a look in the oil section, there's a thread on "favorite oil" with a lot of good info in it. I like German Castrol 0W-30 (Grp IV PAO)...Red Line 5W-30 (Grp V ester) is outstanding, but a bit expensive. Royal Purple 5W-30 (Grp IV PAO) is more suited to racing (frequent oil changes) and has a less robust add pack. Amsoil is actually a very good oil, especially the 2000 series 0W-30 (Grp IV PAO) , but when I tried it it made my valve train a bit noisy...your experience may differ.

Most of the remaining "synthetic" oils on the market are Grp III...not that that's bad, but I want a synthetic when I pay for a synthetic. Of these, Pennzoil Platinum stands out...they have actually taken the hydrocracking process for Grp III oils to a new level. There is little difference between it and the above oils...it is excellent.

If you motor has a bit of wear and you're showing low pressures at 3000 rpm, you might consider a 40W multigrade. There are several good 5W-40 synthetic oils out there that will flow pretty well cold.

Don't use a 15W-50...it's too thick. There are several threads in the oil section on this subject and, of course, Dr Haas' extensive article.

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
I've been hearing that 15w-50 is too thick. As soon as I get my car back from the tuner, I will change that out. I'd like to stick with Mobil 1 since I can easily find it. I'll look into that article about favorite oil but what is the best to use for 500whp?

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
just use the Pennzoil Platinum. its everywhere Mobil 1 is. 5w30 too. but yea i USED to run 15w50 in my old 7M as did Tissimo until we read the above link and our idea was completely opposite of the truth now he uses GC 0w30 and i use PP 5w30