Oil Drain Plug

N

NDBoost

Anyone else find the gasket for this a pain in the ass?
I have to replace this thing at least once every oil change, is this normal :1zhelp: :aigo:

N

NDBoost

Yeah, i thought about that. I just paid for 3-4 gaskets from a local toyota dealership. Bought all the ones they have in stock, they should hold me over for a bit :)

its just a pain because the dealership was closed sunday night and i didnt have any gaskets to replace it with, so i leaked about 2 qts of oil since sunday..

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
you should always replce the drain plug gasket every oil change. Dealerships, garages, and quick lubes all replace the aswell. Some GM cars have a rubber o-ring built in the plug elimating the need to replace the gasket.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
A small box with about 6 washers/gaskets at most auto parts stores are only 4.00 or so. (Rubber/fiber gaskets made for your drain plugs, even the right size.)

Also I swear the guys who worked on my car dented the pan at the gasket mating surface, so I really have to crank that sucker down and compress the gasket to make it stop leaking.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Adjuster said:
Also I swear the guys who worked on my car dented the pan at the gasket mating surface, so I really have to crank that sucker down and compress the gasket to make it stop leaking.

I did a stupid thing to mine, so don't you people do it.
Oh, you want to know what it was?..

I started the bolt, then just "tapped it on" with my impact gun. I figured it would be ok, since I just pulled the trigger and let right off quick.
BAD IDEA !!

Apparently, inside the pan there is a welded in threaded piece, and it must have a dimple, and not be perfectly flat all the way around.:icon_evil

A little dent happened, about 1/8" wide, and now a regular gasket won't seal. I'm ending up have to use a garden hose gasket every oil change. It is soft enough to squeeze into the dent and seal it from leaking.

I just found out that some GM cars use a metal gasket that has rubber on both sides. I'll get one and try it on my next oil change. :nono:

jpeek29208

Boostin Daily
Apr 4, 2005
Enterprise, Al
i dont replace mine everytime and ive never leaked out of there.personally when i need one i take the plug to my local autozone and tell em i need a new one and they give me on for free, cause they dont want to go through the trouble of ringing it up, hehe

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I started the bolt, then just "tapped it on" with my impact gun. I figured it would be ok, since I just pulled the trigger and let right off quick.
BAD IDEA !!
You really put an impact on something that gets 9 lb/ft of torque?:aigo: Or whatever it is. Cant say I have done that, but I know you arent the first.

stuckma

Apr 25, 2006
Georgia
Does the garden hose gasket really work? My drain plug has been leaking
for almost 2 weeks now, it's driving me up the damn wall, I can't stop it. It's leaking pretty good, I put a piece of cardboard under it every night, it makes a big spot. It started after a shop changed the oil. I have tried a new plug, new gaskets from the Toyota dealership, I even tried putting 2 gaskets on, nothing works. I haven't thought about using teflon, that's a good idea. Maybe teflon and a garden hose gasket will do the job. At this point I don't know what else to try. Thanks for any advice out there.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
New feature?

I STILL dont hve a damn gasket on mine, it drips very little but enough to need a qt a week, I didnt know there were gaskets for them, NEVER seen one, EVER! Ill go buy some now.