Oil Drain Plug

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I, too, bought out the local dealer's stock of drain plug washers, and I torque them down to the TSRM's 25 ft-lbs. I had leaks every time I tried to re-use a washer or use a crappy autozone copper crush washer, no problems now and I'm out all of $4.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If your plug leaks and it is torqued properly with a fresh gasket, then you most likely have the problem MrNickelEye mentioned.

The plug threads are welded to the inside of pan, and have a gap at the bottom for oil to pass through (shine a light into the drain hole and you will see what I am talking about.)

With the plug removed, run your finger around the sealing surface and you will feel a dent where that gap in the threads is located. It is caused by overtorqueing the plug (thank you Jiffy Lube).

That dent needs to be pulled out to get a good seal again. There is a thread on here (or maybe SF) that explains how to wedge an allen key into the drain hole and knock the dent out.

I've tried to do it, but the pan metal was not budging and I gave up. Next oil change I'll try to see if an allen key attached to a slide hammer will work.

stuckma

Apr 25, 2006
Georgia
jetjock said:
I'm tellin ya, put a Fumoto on it and be happy. I've been using the things for 20 years: http://tinyurl.com/r7scz

This is exactly what I've been looking for, where I never have to take the plug out again. My concern is that I will still encounter leakage even with the Fumoto plug because apparently I have a problem with the drain hole itself. I did manage to get my leak stopped by using a garden hose washer as someone else on here suggested. I couldn't believe it but it worked. I'm not sure how long that will hold up becasuse the heat may eventually break down the rubber, which is what a garden hose washer is. But it did plug the leak, I was shocked. Futomo looks like the way to go but I'm not sure it is going to fix my problem. Thanks for the information.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, you can always duplicate the garden hose gasket in a better material if you can't fix the pan. For example buy some nylon, delrin, or teflon tubing of the proper diameter and wall thickness then cut it as needed. Use that with the Fumoto. Be creative.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
jetjock;484308 said:
F-104 is correct. 18 mm. That's the one without the hose nipple but if you want a nippled one it's a different number.

How long are the threads on these? Is there any chance it will block off the "gap" opening where the threaded thing in the pan isn't welded and hold more oil in the pan after draining?

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
It does drip if you don't change it at least once in a while in my experience. When I say drip I mean you can just see little drop(s) of oil hanging on the pan

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
1992supraman;981626 said:
Ive never replaced a plug gasket on mine in the year ive owned it. not a drop. what causes them to go bad and need to be replaced??

as stated before, the thread sleeve is welded on the inside of the pan, and there is a cutout in the sleeve to let oil at the very very bottom of the pan to drain out, and when the bolt is overtightened this little cutout makes a space for the flat mating surface to dent inwards