Of all the stupid, ridiculous things...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
mkIIIman089 said:
I think it could. He thought he was going to be able to rebuild a 7M, most people take like 3 years just to do that, lol.

ive done 4 bottoms ends in 2 months, 2 of witch have ran, :biglaugh:

if you love the 7m finish it and dont have regrets,

i am in the same position, i can get a 1j swap for about a grand or rebuild my 7m for the third time in just over a month. but then i would be in need for new ic pipes, exhaust, and some other essentails, mounts so on..

im snagged on pistons aswell, tho i have found rock oem style pistons for about 450 with rings, my brother is running them, but for a high hp build im very affraid..

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Keep in mind the Wisco's will increase compression to 9:1 ;)

It sucks you can't find a torque plate!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Wow. I just spoke with Bryan @ Bryan Maloof Racing in Duluth, Ga (the guy SC recommended in another thread) and HE doesn't even have a torque plate.

Like he said, he's built 1200hp engines without a torque plate. That's nice, it really is - but I absolutely refuse to go half way on machine work. There has to be someone in the Southeast that has a torque plate...

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
go 2JZ

i went 1JZ like a month ago and have only been driving it for a week and a half now and im already saving for a 2JZ as it will be just a long block swap away (easy) so yea i'd go 2J and come out ahead

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
judgeing from what you're saying, i vote 7m if you find a torque plate. but heck even if you do a 2jz swap, there is no way on earth you will be able to get all the swap parts in 1 week. that is a mission in itself.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
if you use the 2jz trans you will need a custom ds.. itll probably take a little more then 3k, just say.. if you have the time, imo its worth it.. I've driven all 3 engines (7m, 1j, and 2j) and its by far the best driving imo.. has off boost torque (more then 7m, at least more then my 87dd), better components (better flowing head, ffim, etc)..its just a better choice imo.. after you get it you really wont look back..

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Doward said:
Wow. I just spoke with Bryan @ Bryan Maloof Racing in Duluth, Ga (the guy SC recommended in another thread) and HE doesn't even have a torque plate.

Like he said, he's built 1200hp engines without a torque plate. That's nice, it really is - but I absolutely refuse to go half way on machine work. There has to be someone in the Southeast that has a torque plate...

Doward -FWIW I've built 20+ 7M's and never used a torque plate and don't know anyone who has one. My car has JE Forged pistons and made 422RWHP and will be up in the 500-550RWHP range now that I have a turbocharger again. The first motor we built has gone 7 years at 350RWHP on stock internals. The first forged engine I built has gone 4 years without a problem (some oil consumption, to be perfectly honest). I understand your concerns but just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't consider the torque plate a critical item unless your goals are really out there. In which case a 2JZ swap might be wiser anyways.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's not a matter of my goals... my goal is absolute, uncompromised reliability, with ~450rwhp. Boring a straight 6 without a torque plate, is simply not an option to me.

It looks like my best bet will be to look at the 2jz tonight. I'll probably re-register my '88 Honda Accord (You'll get there.... in a Honda) and take my time rebuilding the Supra (aka I'll have a month, instead of a week, lol - I love my Supra too much to let her down like this)

The problem is, with no torque plate, and more time - the 2JZ seems like a better bet right now. Wonder if I can talk Bryan into building a torque plate to use on my motor...

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
mkIIIman089 said:
You really do believe ANYTHING anyone tells you, don't you.

Doward, in a situation like yours, I would just get the 2JZ. Personally, I think thats the ONLY swap worth doing, especially if you're actually going to drive it.

I've been driving 1JZ cars for over 2 years now. Stock and upgraded single. 7M's have their good points, but compared to a 2JZGTE, well.. they dont. Your living a lie if you think an M series motor is superior to a JZ motor! The proof is in the thousands of dyno numbers on stock blocks, stock headgaskets, stock everything on JZ cars. I'd like to see a 7M do 650whp on stock everything just fuel, ecu, turbo, untouched otherwise from the factory, for years.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
I was just going to suggest that you have a torque plate made but you beat me to it. If time is a factor, that will be easier and less labor intensive than the 2J swap. Probably cheaper too.

Good Luck.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Make one out of a FUBAR head...lop the top off just above the head bolts with a metal band saw, machine to clean up, machine the deck flat, bore the combustion chambers out oversize to clear the cylinder cutter. All the bolt holes will line up and you can use stock head bolts to secure.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I laughed a little at the 30 day warranty... ;) 30 days, I guess thats a long time, long enough to tell if you have a crappola motor... :dunno:

There is one guy I jknow who has a torque plate: Ron R... And I think he made his... :D:D:D

I say stick with 7M, but Im biased, severely biased... ;)

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would say 7M.. but given the situation (torque plate, availability, etc.) I say go 2JZ.

I'm a little biased as well since I'm nearing the end of the tunnel with my 2JZ and its already more than I expected.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Well, I may very well have a rescuer in all this - bwest has Ron R's torque plate, and is willing to send it over, so I may make use of it!

Suddenly, the 7M is again a viable option (to me)!

Let me think this over... that 2J is really clean (I had a friend take a look at it) - I'll go take a look at it personally tomorrow.