Of all the stupid, ridiculous things...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Would you believe I can not find anyone with a complete low mile 7M in Florida? Can't find any forged pistons in stock, either. Called TitanMotorSports even, and nope - order only!

I really want to rebuild my 7M while I'm out for this week of Spring Break.

The really ridiculous thing? I've got access to a JDM 2JZGTE automagic, very low mileage (he's saying in the order of 30k), the turbos, ecu, wiring harness - missing the IC setup though (but I can always take care of that with ease)

$2000.

New 7M shortblock from Toyota is $2400.

Worse, I have so many performance parts for the 7M I can immediately turn around and sell, and have ~$1500 more to play with on this. Worst of all, though - the 2jz fits my bill of a destroked 7M, with the 86mm stroke.

Ah, I'm venting here, guys. I'm going to make some more calls, see if I can come up with a set of pistons for the 7M!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
$680 + overnight shipping on the pistons, hm? Takes 24 hours to process, and the block can't be bored until the pistons arrive :3d_frown:

Syris, I can't help but think that since I need to replace my wiring harness anyway, I could unload my 7M parts (many of which are still new - they were supposed to go in this week!) and end up with a 2JZ/r154 combo for about $1500 out of pocket :( Dammit, I hate decisions like this.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ric said:
Just go 2JZ so you never have to rebuild a motor ever again

Aww, now where's the fun in that? ;)

$619 shipped (the lady I spoke with said the rings *do* come with those pistons) on the pistons.

$60 for ARP rod bolts (TMS)
$130 for MHG (TMS)
$Free I have the ARP studs already

Anyone know of a machine shop that FOR SURE has a 7M torque plate in Florida?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd be about $810 into parts to rebuild this. I can get the rods reconned for $12/apiece, but I need to make sure whoever bores the block has a damn torque plate!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Ric said:
Just go 2JZ so you never have to rebuild a motor ever again
You really do believe ANYTHING anyone tells you, don't you.

Doward, in a situation like yours, I would just get the 2JZ. Personally, I think thats the ONLY swap worth doing, especially if you're actually going to drive it.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I think it could. He thought he was going to be able to rebuild a 7M, most people take like 3 years just to do that, lol.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Hey hey - no bickering. Take it to PMs if that's gonna happen :icon_razz

Seriously, it's looking more and more like the 2JZ swap might just happen. Why? It's a damn good deal on a 2j, for one, with a 30 day warranty to top it off.

I need to re wire my wiring harness anyway, so it's the same amount of work.

I'm pulling a motor and putting one back in, so same amount of work there, too.

I do have a ton of 7M parts I can sell off in the meantime. I would need a longer throttle cable, though, for the 2JZ. I'd also need an intercooler + piping for a front mount. :3d_frown: Nobody I've called has a torque plate, and I get a lot of 'well, that'd be the first 7M we've bored here!'

As far as cost, it looks like it'll be a wash either way. But there is something to be said for a brand new forged 7m vs a used hypereutectic 2JZ.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
i would stick with the 7m but thats just me. dont get me wrong, i love the 2jz and the price is tempting, but i just happen to love the gadget 7m too much. anyway have you considered just picking up a bhg motor and rebuild it? i would assume that there would be quite a few of them like, everywhere lol.
-Thomas

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
CryoSlash said:
i would stick with the 7m but thats just me. dont get me wrong, i love the 2jz and the price is tempting, but i just happen to love the gadget 7m too much. anyway have you considered just picking up a bhg motor and rebuild it? i would assume that there would be quite a few of them like, everywhere lol.
-Thomas

If I were to rebuild a motor, I would rebuild the one in my car (I'm weighing this vs buying the 2jz) - the problem is one of time. This is my DD, so whatever I decide, must happen THIS WEEK.

Pros of the rebuilt 7M:
Torque
Forged pistons
Brand spankin' new
Everything is already there to do

What prevents this route? Must find a machine shop with a damn torque plate and CBN. Really, that's all that is holding me back from pulling the trigger on this one.

Pros of the 2JZ:
Intake tract does not run back across the damn exhaust
Better flowing head
It's sitting there, waiting to get thrown in
Able to spin higher (if you've got 2 3.0L motors, all things equal, the one that spins higher makes more power)
320hp starting point
All metal gaskets already in there - no need to find a machine shop

What prevents this route?
Love of the underdog (7M)
I already have a ton of go-fast goodies for the 7M (which on the flip side, can be sold to further fund the 2JZ)
Have to order Randy's mounts (I'm an '88) which I don't think he'd mind overnighting to me? (will pm him in a moment)

Price of each?
7M: $900 in parts. I need to recon the rods, bore the block, mill the head and deck, install pistons to fresh rods I'd say about $1000 in GOOD machine work $1900 total, with about $400 in parts to sell off (spare ct26, stock stuff, etc)

2JZ: $2000 for the engine. $200 for motor mount brackets. $90 for the PS hose. $350 for 1JZ bellhousing. Not sure how much a 1JZ flywheel goes for? But then, I can stay automagic for now, if need be. Throttle cable? Intercooler? Piping? I'll say $3000 for the swap.

So it's $1100 more - but I have at least $1500 in 7M go fast goodies I could sell off (that's assuming I get 40% of what I paid, and almost all of the items are still brand new) so I end up ahead by about $400.

I'd really like to find a torque plate for the 7M here :3d_frown: I don't see why shops don't just make it - it's a plate with bolt holes, and the holes for the cylinders - that's about it.