need some help what to do

927MGTE

Mar 20, 2008
BEL AIR, MD
I have a 92 turbo that I have had for some time now and have been content with have a turbo supra. The trans burned up a few months ago and I got an r154 to put in now but I'm not so content just having a turbo supra anymore so now its time to upgrade which is where my problem lies.
I am not sure which route to take. I want about 500 hp to the wheels, I want it to be dependable and relieable ( I know that will decrease with power but I want the most I can get), and I want it to be able to take abuse as I plan to run it hard.
That being said I cant decide if I should work on the 7m or do a 1jz swap
I can get a deal on a 1jz motor nothing more nothing less it is a complete motor on a stand with a ct26 manifold on it no wiring no ecu
if i go 1j what all will I need I'm thinking since I will not have any wireing that I should just go with a standalone?
would it be more practicle to just build the 7m. get the head work done and upgrade the turbo and fuel and run a maft pro
what would be a good turbo for these applications with that power goal?
thanks for any input just need some insite to help my decision

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
927MGTE;1199235 said:
I have a 92 turbo that I have had for some time now and have been content with have a turbo supra. The trans burned up a few months ago and I got an r154 to put in now but I'm not so content just having a turbo supra anymore so now its time to upgrade which is where my problem lies.
I am not sure which route to take. I want about 500 hp to the wheels, I want it to be dependable and relieable ( I know that will decrease with power but I want the most I can get), and I want it to be able to take abuse as I plan to run it hard.
That being said I cant decide if I should work on the 7m or do a 1jz swap
I can get a deal on a 1jz motor nothing more nothing less it is a complete motor on a stand with a ct26 manifold on it no wiring no ecu
if i go 1j what all will I need I'm thinking since I will not have any wireing that I should just go with a standalone?
would it be more practicle to just build the 7m. get the head work done and upgrade the turbo and fuel and run a maft pro
what would be a good turbo for these applications with that power goal?
thanks for any input just need some insite to help my decision

Either engine is capable of that goal, however neither way will be cheap. IMHO the 7m route will be cheaper because the cost of a swap for the 1j and the harness and ect... will add up quite a bit. There will always being people telling you 1j or 7m due to bias views but the 7m imo can handle it. 1j parts a little harder to find except some things are interchangable between the 2j and the 1j due to them being the same series. As for the harness you could go standalone but you will have to do alot of wiring and it's not for the faint of heart, and some tutorials are available. You already have the 7m, just upgrade that, it's a beast of an engine if taken well care of.

927MGTE

Mar 20, 2008
BEL AIR, MD
if i stay 7m what would be a good reliable turbo to make that kind of power?
i was thinking about just an upgraded ct but i dont want to push it to its death

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Make sure your motor is healthy, get a good HG, arps all around, BC cams, and get like a GT40R with supporting fuel. Run AEM with that and you'll be good for 500+ for sure.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
BC means Brian Crower (just a name brand). Good stuff, but not entirely necessary because 7m cams are pretty good, but the BC cams are adjustable so you can adjust them quite easily.

And like 87mgte said make sure you get the head machined (if needed, usually necessary) and get some ARP head studs, torque to their specs and a good MHG. The GT40R is a nice turbo as well. :naughty:

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
Everyone is right, stick with your 7m. 1jz's are nice but a pain in the ass for only 500hp. A turbo that I have heard good things about for the 7m is the LIPP BOSS series, mainly I have heard because they bolt up to our factory manifold. Cams are good along with injectors. Full exhaust. You could get a lexus afm or convert to MAP either by standalone or piggyback.

It's pretty good, I am running 432hp at 18psi on a stock ct-26 with 57 trim upgrade. All I have done is that, full exhaust, bigger intercooler and pipes, injectors and a couple other misc things. So forsure the 7m can get you to 500hp. Hope all the info helps. Cheers.