Need help converting 88 to 89 look

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
gsmokez said:
man i had no idea they changed so many things with it

If you're just interested in the bumper and taillights, then no problem with a pre-89. But if you wanted all the things they changed in 89 or 91, you'd be better of just buying one. IMO.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OneJoeZee said:
pre-89 also totally ignores the lines of the hood and nose panel and I hate that... :)

It's all preference...

I wasn't satisfied with either, so I used black turn signal covers on a black car to make the front end look solid with no gap between the bumper and hood. :)

body line ends on the header panel if you look...

there are TONS of changes to the 89+ cars that I could make one hell of a long post about, but I won't...

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
what about 89+ moldings on a pre 88? i heard i only need the tail lights and the moldings? is that true??

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Poodles said:
body line ends on the header panel if you look...
Yes, I know it stops there. But just because the header panel flattens out doesn't mean the line is gone. The bumper picks it nicely and keeps going.

Look at a hardtop MKIV. There are lines on the roof that flow down to the lines of the hood. You won't see it on a targa car.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
pre 89 molding is flat, 89+ has a little "lip"...

some pre 89 molding was "tinted" to match, such as light blue and stuff....

the only 89-90 molding that was body color were the White packages (like mine, white paint, white trim, white rims, and blue/burgundy interiors), in 91, all trim came body color, except ironically non-white package white cars, those had a light grayish tint to them...

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
MKIII N00b said:
pre 89 front + 89 tails = secks.

I'm of the exact same opinion and was wondering if anyone had done up a step by step guide to swapping post 89 tails into a pre 89? (I used the search function but couldn't really find anything...)

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
RazoE said:
^---probably a direct bolt-on, only issue might be the key lock...

real question is why.?!?

If you could have (in your own opinion) the best looking MKIII around, wouldn't you want to do it???

And I totally agree with the Pre89 body with Post89 tails and spoiler!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Saavedro88 said:
If you could have (in your own opinion) the best looking MKIII around, wouldn't you want to do it???

And I totally agree with the Pre89 body with Post89 tails and spoiler!

oh shit, sorry, I misread your post, I thought you posted "pre 89 taillights on an 89+" ahahh..:D

BoostLee posted earlier how to...

honestly, the best looking MKIII inside and out is the turbo, targa 89 white package (yeah I'm baised, but mine isn't turbo)...