My other 91 buildup - The DD

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I finally started to make a little progress on it finally. I picked it up like 6 months ago. Last night I dropped it off to get the engine bay sprayed. I'm going with Dark Green Mica on it :) I have a 1jz swap waiting for it to go in as soon as I get it back. Still need to buy a few items (intercooler, couplers) but should be just about all I need. I purchased some wheels for it last night too (got a decent deal :) ) 18x8 in front and 18x10 in the rear, bronze in color.. :) they'll be sorta of a suprise until I get them, so stay tuned. I MAY go with a 2jz instead of the 1jz if I get it cheap enough, well see how it pans out in the next week or so.

This is going to be a budget build, since its beeing my dd I dont want to put loads of money into it while my blue car sits with no engine ;), sorta baller on a budget, haha.

I will post pics of it as of 2 months ago when i get home

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Damn everyone and their dark green mica!
This is like the 4th one on the forum now.. and i've planned to paint mine that color since before i've ever seen one... lol

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
lol yea.. its a nice color.. mines not original like some peoples... haha... If the car start out black I would of went with quicksilver FX, but was burgandy originally and sprayed black, so going dark green.. I'm still a little apprehensive about it since i've never seen it in person.. but oh well! haha

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
heres the pics of as it was
Ext2.jpg

enginebay.JPG

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
supra90turbo said:
This is like the 4th one on the forum now.. and i've planned to paint mine that color since before i've ever seen one... lol

pfft who would drive a car that is that colour anyways? :hsugh:

this car is gonna be awesome tissimo! its gonna be one hell of a DD thats for sure!

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Well.. 2jz is on its way now..

Whats the best way to clean up the intake manifold pipes and turbo pipes (make them look new again)? They have some corrosion from the boat trip over. I'll hit up harbor freight and pick up a blaster and get some junk to hit it with (but what junk?). I thought about polishing, but I am lazy and dont want to spend that much on them (to have them done).. 2jz engine set was 1690 shipped..

I'm planning on using the 1jz ecu and harness to control it (i'll play around with the aristo harness, and maybe extend it and wire it up to work over time and make a writeup for it.) So will have to run the turbos in TTC, but thats not a big deal I was going to anyways. I have a 1jz harness all ready extended and ready to drop in, just need to put the bay back together.. it was stripped like my blue car was when i painted it
bare-paint.JPG

Car should be out of paint shop this weekend, will get pictures as soon as I get it.

I'm hoping to have the car running (at least start it) before I leave for sema (late oct)... I probably wont be finished (will still need to fab intercooler pipes and what not) as I only have 3-4 weeks and have a few more things on my plate before I can devote all my time/energy to it. But plan is for the car to be done (running, boosting, with ac, ps, and hopfully cruise, I want to keep everything since its going to be a dd.) by the Novermber tampa supra meet... so after i get back i'll have a week or 2 to finalize everything.

Then to see what the JDM 2jz engine is capable of... I'm hoping for 360-380 whp..

Last edited:

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
supra90turbo said:

I have a 92 bumper from the clip that had my 92 1jz engine and it was a Dark green Mica color( stock). Im telling you man, after balck, it is one of the nicest color for the MKIII I have seen.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Tissimo, once you done with that setup, would you mind posting how / what needs to be connected to the 2jz engine with the 1jz harness. I asume it would be pretty much the same, but just in case you run into any snags, please do let us all know who are also anticipating something similar to your setup.
thanks,
Moe.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
will do, I think the ISC wiring/clip is different other then that its all plug and play.. I will document everything..

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
quick update:
well car is back in paint.. had a few problems with it.. will be done monday...

my wheels and 2jz have arrived though.. No pics though since my sister took my camera.. should have it back in a week or 2..

I started to rip apart the 2jz today, stripping the manifold and turbo pipes off to clean them up. I ordered a gasket set and going to do the valve seals so decided to put my usdm cams I have laying around in. Hopfully give me a little bit more power up top. The engine looks to be in a good shape. Everything looks good so far. There is some oil around the front turbo, but I dont think its bad, just some oil through the pcv system. The turbos have hardly any shaft play, rear turbo looks almost new. I pulled the valve covers and it looks good, no deposits or anything, a nice gold color. Will strip the block the rest of the way down tomorrow and give it a nice coat of black and swap the oil pans.

Wheels look good, I'll see if i can borrow my buddy camera to get some pics. I need to get some tires so I can mount them on my 87 and see if I have any rubbing problems. I dont think I will, but well see. They will look nice on the dark green mica.. cant wait..

Will get pictures when I can

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
tissimo said:
I finally started to make a little progress on it finally. I picked it up like 6 months ago. Last night I dropped it off to get the engine bay sprayed. I'm going with Dark Green Mica on it :) I have a 1jz swap waiting for it to go in as soon as I get it back. Still need to buy a few items (intercooler, couplers) but should be just about all I need. I purchased some wheels for it last night too (got a decent deal :) ) 18x8 in front and 18x10 in the rear, bronze in color.. :) they'll be sorta of a suprise until I get them, so stay tuned. I MAY go with a 2jz instead of the 1jz if I get it cheap enough, well see how it pans out in the next week or so.

This is going to be a budget build, since its beeing my dd I dont want to put loads of money into it while my blue car sits with no engine ;), sorta baller on a budget, haha.

I will post pics of it as of 2 months ago when i get home
baller much?
paint, rims, 2jz?
jeezus.
give me some money yo!
:)
can't wait to see some pictures man!

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Lol, no baller, jsut the engine bay painted not the full car. Rims were cheap and 2jz was cheap. at the end I will post up all I have spent. I figure ~5000-6000 total (including the price of the car) when dont. It will still need a little more work (exterior paint and some front seats) but then it should be done.

Well swapping the oil pans today, with the engine upside down the front turbo started to drop some oil out of the compressor housing. The compressor housing on the intake and exhaust was coated with oil to begin with so to check to see if the seal was actually leaking I poured some oil though the drain and see if it would leak onto the ground.. So ~ 20-30 minutes passed after swapping the oil pans the oil spot on the floor had a clean center :( ... looks like I'll be getting some USDM twins now...

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
well shit.. i tried to get some pics with my bros camera phone but they never arrived in my email.. shitty cingular..

I started to assemble the engine bay back together.. I stripped the 2jz down, painted the block, new waterpump on, new seals. Still lots to go..

My sister will be back in town this weekend so I can get my camera finally so I can get some pics. Hopfully should have the engine dropped in next weekend, but we'll see...