MK3 V8 conversion

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
SySt said:
Also, no offense to the people who have done it but why swap in a Lexus V8 when LSX motors are easier to swap and come in larger displacements and weighing probably withint 25lbs of the Lexus?

Do LS motors last 300,000 miles?
More importantly, do they satisfy my fetish for having as many cams and valves as possible?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
miekedmr said:
More importantly, do they satisfy my fetish for having as many cams and valves as possible?

Can an LSX motor go for 300K? Possibly. Are you saying all Lexus V8s will? And with technology today, no engine will last 300k when driven hard a lot. Which is of course why I would upgrade a car, to make it faster.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
miekedmr said:
Everything will last 300,000mi if you drive it like a grandma and change the oil every 6k with good oil and filters.
Will it last that long with 20-40psi through it? no.

LSx's will not satisfy your need for multiple cams and tons of valves. They're pushrod engines, so you'll have one cam and 16 valves.. not my cup of tea either. I just don't like pushrods. I don't want to hear arguments about that, it's just my opinion.

Now, a Toyota UZ series engine will put you where you want to be in that category with 4 cams and 32 valves.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
The 1UZ has a reputation for reliability for a reason, I think.
I don't remember where I read this, (Maybe SF?) but some posted a story recently that went like so...
There's a machinist who does all kinds of work. He's seen about every type of motor come into his shop with a variety of problems. When asked what kind of car he would buy if he was on the market, he said a lexus (ls430 or something like that,) based on the fact that he'd never seen a broken motor come through.
That's in line with every other thing I've heard about it, as far as reliability.
It may largely be hype, and it's obviously not going to last forever under boost. It's not magical, but I do have a lot of trust in the engineering that went into it.

In the end, though, it's just personal preference. You could say the same thing to MKIV guys, about putting LS motors in place of their 2JZ's.

Last edited:

Justin727

T-virus infected
personally i think building a chevy V8 or ford V8 is fairly easy and cheap thus giving it the "hype".
Sure its easy and fast and "cheap". The reason I chose to build this I6 is because it takes smarts, thinking, and some effort and money, therefore in the end i'm alot more proud of my 500hp I6 that i may have spent 1,000.00 more on to get it there then say a 500hp v8 that was alot cheaper to build. So far my build has come out cheaper then building a LS1.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
SySt said:
Oh, and if you want my opinion. Anyone who does not want to do an aluminum V8 swap into their Supra owns it for reasons aside from performance.

Thank you, I totally agree. I see absolutely no reason at all to do a Toyota V8 swap when something like yours will best it in every way.

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
so basically no one has any information or site they sell kits or anything like that for this swap to be done...im not intrested in the lexus swap cuz if i wanted to spend that kinda money i would just rebuild the 7m from top to bottom...im in no way saying the 350 is the best motor out there or anything which is what i think so of you are getting from this....im saying for a simple way to go fast cheap with what i have to work with its an idea...a carb. 350 motor i dont care what motor it is none of that matters or is even my point..theres nothing to it...just a motor and carb and a tranny...no worrying about vaccum hoses out the wazoo or anything else...its simple...but im not saying its better...so dont get the wrong idea

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
What are you doing for the tranny? 700r4 going behind it? :) That's what I'd use, myself, on an older 350.

Personally, I think a 383 topped with a set of Vortec heads with a 224-230º cam @ .050", with .510" lift would seriously motivate the heavy Supra ;)

In all reality, going with a carb'd setup, especially if you go with a TV or vacuum modulated auto tranny, it's a matter of making frame mounts, and a tranny mount.

Once it is all mounted up, it's easy from there. Just keep an eye on pinion angles, as I believe it was SySt that found a couple problems with them ;)

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
car is an auto now so it would stay that way..so i would like to use a 700r4 but i think there a lot more money then a turbo350 so i donno....i was looking for a company they may sell the motor and tranny mounts cuz like i said..they make them for rx7's and 240sx's and a few other cars...

thetanzer2006

Jan 6, 2007
Austin, TX
Hey i have a friend with a 84 supra with a 4.0l lexus v-8 with a 5 speed, its almost complete all that has to be done is custom headers and a full exaust, hes asking 3200$ anyone interested?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
ive made it a practice to not buy anything that has already been swapped with something that didnt come stock. on another note, there is a for sale forum which would be a better place for that post. :)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^That's right.

Buying an aftermarket built car is buying the previous owners soon-to-be problems.

:nono:

Now I just wish people would understand that.

bondie

Pisshead
Aug 26, 2005
UK
My mate has done this in the UK with a small block Chevy, 5.7 with NOS :aigo:

p481067_1.jpg

p481067_2.jpg

p481067_3.jpg

As you can see it gets a fair bit of attention at shows

p481067_4.jpg

His is the one in the lineup that you can't see behind all the bodies

p481067_5.jpg