MK3 V8 conversion

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I guess to each his own but in my opinion!!!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Clip said:
you got me there. is it a flat 12, straight 12, or inline 12.

Straight = Inline != Flat
Flat means horizontally opposed, ala Subaru

I would love to see an inline 12... 13 mains!
The crank itself would be as long as a smart car, haha.

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
Chevy 350....super common...alot of parts that are cheap to bolt up...also going to be a carb.. not fuel injected....alot easyer to convert that way i think...i know a shop in philly has converted a few older RX7's with 350's i was going to give them a call....im just getting my feet wet...im not sure im gonna do this just checking it out and thinking about it....i like imports..and i like muscle cars...this way i can have both...im sure some people hate the idea...and well..i dont blame them...but at the same time its diffrent and like i said...i like imports and muscle cars...this way i can have both in one car...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
miekedmr said:
Straight = Inline != Flat
Flat means horizontally opposed, ala Subaru

I would love to see an inline 12... 13 mains!
The crank itself would be as long as a smart car, haha.

i know, i was just messin. forgot my smiley :biglaugh:

Justin727

T-virus infected
TheRemedy said:
Chevy 350....super common...alot of parts that are cheap to bolt up...also going to be a carb.. not fuel injected....alot easyer to convert that way i think...i know a shop in philly has converted a few older RX7's with 350's i was going to give them a call....im just getting my feet wet...im not sure im gonna do this just checking it out and thinking about it....i like imports..and i like muscle cars...this way i can have both...im sure some people hate the idea...and well..i dont blame them...but at the same time its diffrent and like i said...i like imports and muscle cars...this way i can have both in one car...

IT is not different and people put a 350 in the rx7 because it is NOT nearly as heavy as the supra. So the power to weight ratio is thrown out of wack. They do it to build a drag car.
not to mention i've killed plenty of 350's fuel injected and carbed with just my intake, open 3" downpipe, and blow off valve. Now that was really cheap!

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Justin727 said:
IT is not different and people put a 350 in the rx7 because it is NOT nearly as heavy as the supra. So the power to weight ratio is thrown out of wack. They do it to build a drag car.
not to mention i've killed plenty of 350's fuel injected and carbed with just my intake, open 3" downpipe, and blow off valve. Now that was really cheap!

Think you can take an LS6 powered Supra, having only 3" exhaust and intake? Calling an engine a "Chevy 350" is not even slightly descriptive. There are four generations of small block Chevrolets. The LSX series falling under the 3rd and 4th generations.

Also, no offense to the people who have done it but why swap in a Lexus V8 when LSX motors are easier to swap and come in larger displacements and weighing probably withint 25lbs of the Lexus? Why "keep it in the family"? I want to know why one would sacrifice ease of installation, ease of tuning, performance potential and parts availability just to "keep it in the family".

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
KeithH said:
At least go with a nice Lexus V8 to keep things in the family.

I actually went out of my way to read others posts' to see if anybody else was going to look at it from my point of view. You nailed it.

If it were me, and I was going to build a complete road course setup on a MKIII, I would probably do a 1UZFE...instantaneous power, don't have to worry about any lag coming out of corners, etc etc. Although, even at that, I'd probably consider doing a 1J with minimal lag.

But, as everyone says, IMO, I just don't like the thought of putting a V8 into a rare Japanese sports car. I admit, I LOVE seeing people do new things with our cars...but this is not one of them. I :love: Forced Induction + Inline 6. :icon_bigg

Everyone has their own opinions and tastes...and for that, I wish you luck.

Jeff

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Having built 4 7M's, and two of them being very rare stroker 7M's, the idea of using off the shelf parts from GM that make seriously insane power under forced induction is very tempting indeed.

Think of this.
The alloy block LS7 is lighter than the 7MGTE engine.
It is shorter. (It has the weight set back more for better distribution.)
It is not as tall. (Hood height is no issue.)
It is wide, but not much wider, so exhaust manifold clearance is not an issue.
The oil system is better. :)
There are TONS of aftermarket parts for these motors. (Heck, you can get every part for the motor, including the block aftermarket if you want.)

Now for the reality check. Displacement ability. Stroked the 7M will get you 3.2 or 3.4L at the most. There are 7.0L stock LS7's out there, and slightly more if you want it. (Why would you need more than 7.0L of displacement, especially under pressure... ?)

Because the MK3 has a long engine bay, when the V8 motor is installed, you have all this room between the core support and engine to place the turbo's and your radiator and intercooler.

I'd have to imagine that a mild 10:1 LS7 engine of 7.0L displacment with 10 lbs of boost ontop of it would make insane amounts of power, and be very close to stock weight as well.

There are 6 speed transmissions out there in F-bodies around the globe.

Aftermarket stand alone ECU's and wire harnesses too made just for this engine. Coil upgrades, dampers, pully's and all kinds of cool stuff.

So, when you see a MK3 with dual 3" exhausts that sounds like a turbo charged sprint car... look out, that would be the ultimate MK3 chassis/engine combo.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Amen Adjuster. You didn't mention the factory PCM is fully tuneable with available equipment, you may not even need an aftermarket unit. The LS7 is a good motor to compare with, being it has the same redline. You can basically take any 7M torque curve and multiply the numbers across the board by 2.3 and you have a rough figure for what is possible on a similiar setup. Can you say 1000rwhp on pump gas? Also, in N/A form the engine setup is lighter than a 7M and you can still reach 700hp+ at the crank off of an LS7.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Oh, I forgot to mention that the stock MKIII tires and differential (3.909 in this case) gives you gearing very close to an F-body with 4.10s when using a T56.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
I'm waiting for the 2007 truck engines to hit the junkyards. The 6.0 is available with an aluminum block and VVT. Yes, VVT on a pushrod engine.
This beast makes 366 HP/ 380 lb-ft on 87 octane. It makes more torque off-idle than I do at peak. Oh...and it gets better mileage than a 7M too.