MK3 suspension guide

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Scince the old suspension review section got erased scince SM was hacked, and not to many people posted there anyways, I figure we need a new thread or even a sticky on what suspension set ups you guys are running and how you like it. This way it will prevent the almost daily questions on what spring/ strut como to run, and how low each set of springs are. Ill start.

I was using some the old version of the Suspension Technics springs and worn out stock struts. It was very low, I would say about 2" lower and the ride wasnt very good because of the old struts. I did install the ST sway bars kit and it made a huge diference in cornering ability, but the ST swaybars seem to break off the lower mouting tabs on the rear. I had to repair both sides, and I added another gusset to srenghten it.

I will be running some TurboR Bilstiens next but I am wondering how the different lowering springs compare. I heard that the H&R's and Intrex are very low, the Eibachs are progressive springs and unpredictable handling because of that. Also the front is lower giving the car a raked apperance.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
I was just thinking about asking a question regarding this. Namely if anyone had tried some basic lowering springs (like the STs or eibachs) on stock struts with the full firm mode. Did you experience any bouncyness to the setup, and were you on full firm or just sport? (jumpered in, or just button pushed?)
My struts are in good shape right now, and while I'll almost certainly go to some aftermarkets like the bilstiens later, I'd also like to lower the car without ghettofying it sooner than later. I'm sure this crap has been asked before, but I'm guessing got wiped out because I couldn't find it with a search. So I'll ask now.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
I run ST springs on stock sruts... it's not bad... although I will be replacing with coil overs sometime...

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm running Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. Very stiff. Looks awesome, The bilsteins I have have 3 different perches for the springs so you can make it very low or a little lower than stock (with the eibachs). Gets annoying for around town driving but makes up for it when I wanna have some fun on the back roads. .

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
the ST swaybars seem to break off the lower mouting tabs on the rear. I had to repair both sides, and I added another gusset to srenghten it.

I'm looking to get a set of sway bars fairly soon, but hear this might be a common problem. Is that true? Are there any recommended sway bars to buy and/or recommendations for them so that they don't break?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm riding on eibachs and koni yellows. yes, at first its a bit unpredictable due to the progressive rate springs, but once you get used to it, you start to know when you're pushing it too hard. (dont ask me how i know)

i love the raked look of the eibachs, and they're perfect for the roads around me, i only scrape the nose of my car on one spot, and its a dip, then a hill. if i take it carefully, i dont hit anything. car handles much better than stock.

if i could do it all over again, i'd get some Tein coilovers. :drool:

-shaeff

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
shaeff said:
i'm riding on eibachs and koni yellows. yes, at first its a bit unpredictable due to the progressive rate springs, but once you get used to it, you start to know when you're pushing it too hard. (dont ask me how i know)

i love the raked look of the eibachs, and they're perfect for the roads around me, i only scrape the nose of my car on one spot, and its a dip, then a hill. if i take it carefully, i dont hit anything. car handles much better than stock.

if i could do it all over again, i'd get some Tein coilovers. :drool:

-shaeff

Any pics of your car/ride height? I'd love to see a profile of that raked look!

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Jonnymkiii said:
I'm looking to get a set of sway bars fairly soon, but hear this might be a common problem. Is that true? Are there any recommended sway bars to buy and/or recommendations for them so that they don't break?

The sway bar doesn't break. Its the mounting tab on the car from my understanding.

Some people appear to have had good luck with welding reinforcements on.

I have ST springs on the way, which I plan on running with the stock TEMS shocks. My shocks are old but with lower mileage and seem to be in very good condition.

I figure I will get an alignment after the springs go on and hope for the best.

If the ride becomes unacceptable the stock springs will go back on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan: I had a set of custom solid bars made to replace the stock hollow ones way back in 97 and haven't had a problem with mounts!

I wonder if there are other factors in the failures?

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I would assume stuff like Auto-X, road courses, drifting or just plain beating the shit out of the car on twisty back roads.

I am going the grab the ST sway bars sometime over the summer to try to tighten up the body roll a bit.

Same deal as with the springs though, if I don't like them then off they will come.

Dan

kysupra

I'm Single
Apr 25, 2005
Lexington, KY
eibachs, blistens. love the look, and the ride. have whiteline 30mm front sway bar, and 22mm rear, nylon bushings, rear hatch bar to install, and strut bars to buy, and install. :biggrinbo cant wai ttill its all done.

supraaddict87

Apr 3, 2005
Morgantown WV
www.geocities.com
Im running eibachs over bilsteins with poly bushings all around, I am very pleased with the look, but the ride is a little harsh. I would like to hear from anyone else with the same setup as I am having a bouncy ride, any ideas would be much appriciated!

mike

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
supraaddict87 said:
Im running eibachs over bilsteins with poly bushings all around, I am very pleased with the look, but the ride is a little harsh. I would like to hear from anyone else with the same setup as I am having a bouncy ride, any ideas would be much appriciated!

mike

Mike, I'm installing the same setup. I haven't looked into, but there was a post on SF about Bilsteins being designed to work with 89+ shock mounts. Someone said that the ride smoothened out after installing these.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
I have Tein Type Flex's and that's all. I really want to get rid of the body roll that's left over with some ST sways. I will also be purchasing a Do Luck rear cross bar and Cusco front and rear strut tower bars. This is all the current plan unless Randy at BIC Performance ends up making some of these products.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
if i remember correctly the bilsteins are made for pillow ball strut mounts (ie. 89+) thus when they are installed on a car without them (86.5-88) it does not sit/fit propperly. its been a while since i looked into this so someone correct me if im wrong :icon_conf

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Spiv said:
Any pics of your car/ride height? I'd love to see a profile of that raked look!

heh, i have no pics now, except with my engine pulled, so it looks like it's raked toward the back! :gaybar:

-shaeff