mg89's upgrades on MKIII

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
Well, I'm a big motorcycle guy who keeps rebuilding them and all that jazz, and I don't really work on cars but I figure, what the heck. I just rescently bought 1988 MKIII turbo for $1300 because the guy I bought it from thought the starter was burnt, it however, was not burnt at all. My father connected some wires and sure enough the starter worked. The engine has around 10,000 miles on it and was imported from japan.

The interior is also not that appealing, cracked leather and center counsel is all messed up. I plan to get a leather interior kit from leatherseats.com or suprasport.com

p397861_1.jpg

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned

Last edited:

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
And here is the car in it's current condition
p400360_1.jpg

p400360_2.jpg

p400360_3.jpg

p400360_4.jpg

Pretty much the only thing I did so far was clean the back and change the air filter (I'll get back to it with rust remover)
p400360_5.jpg

Once I get my first paycheck from Hickory Farms, (I start working tomorrow) I'm going to order the hks downpipe or the street imports downpipe and/or Titan 1.4mm metal head gasket.

Last edited:

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Im all for what you want your car to look like minus the rice spoiler!!!!

At least you want to stay Ice blue.... Soup loves you for that!!!!

Good luck

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
da89soup said:
Im all for what you want your car to look like minus the rice spoiler!!!!

At least you want to stay Ice blue.... Soup loves you for that!!!!

Good luck

thanks, I like ice blue and besides, if I did paint it another color it would look weird when I open up the hood and have the engine bay ice blue.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Sounds like you've got all your pay checks lined up for parts :)

Oh, don't get the HKS downpipe...They aren't full 3" all the way through. I would look into a BIC or Cooleeze DP.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
Damnit, they stopped payroll yeterday so my first pay check next Thursday will only have $27. Shiet, that sux so now I have to wait 3 weeks to get a paycheck that I can actually use to buy parts. By the way this build is going to take a long time. I only make minimum witch is $7.63 in Washington, so that's $6.87 an hour after taxes and I only work partime around 25 hours a week, and I have to save atleast 1/3 of my paycheck and put it in my savings so I can pay for books next quarter.

Hopefully I'll get this build done by end of summer next year or beginning of winter next year.

This is going to go by slowly

atleast I got a long time to ask questions and discuss about this project

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
well, you're close enough to both cooleeze (www.cooleeze.com) and BIC (http://www.bicperformance.com/) being in washington. Give either Greg or Randy a call and see what they can do for you. I personally have a cooleeze DP and love it. Fit really well, especially up against my test pipe and hks super drager. Huge power upgrades with that :) Looking back now though, I would've waited until some good used item came up for sale.

There's a guy in Vancouver selling his BIC dp on supraforums. Can't remember if it was in the Canada or for sale section.

lowbudgettarga

supra and I - Broke
Apr 2, 2005
Bellingham, WA
in your first post you said you wanted an ssautochrome manifold. You are going to need a new turbo for that and then your downpipe isn't going t fit because you'll need a custom one. besides that, good luck with the car, looks like a good starting point.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
I guess I won't get the ssautochrome manifold then, I thought it would fit on the stock turbo. Maybe when I graduate from college in 3 1/2 years and start bringing the big money home will I get the expensive stuff.

If it goes at least 330whp by next year, I won't mind.

I'll update the list

oh well

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Should be good :) You'll be pleasently surprised with a nice flowing down pipe. You should also parooze the for-sale sections here. Always good deals that I seem to miss ... wait a second don't look at the for sale section...lol ;)