MAF Translator Pro - what do you think

B

bbaacchhyy

yannis-supras said:
You'd have to bring along the MaftPro as a present and any other goodies you do that are applicable to the 7mgte for that :biggrinbo
I think it's better off finding a 7mgte ecu from a forum member here and have it sent to you rather that sending you my unit all the way from Greece. I'm just trying to establish if both manual and auto ecu's will do in my case since I have a converted mkii with manual transmission. I think I read somewhere that the auto ecu won't be a problem for a manual car but it wouldn't work the other way around. Can anyone shed some light on this? (I know it's off topic, but if you think about it it's not that off, it's all meant for a succesfull MaftPro conversion :biglaugh: )

Yannis,

I think you'll find the number of pins are different on the plugs. I was going to do what you thought, but then shelved that idea. The Auto ECU won't give you any problems.

Cheers

Michael B

B

bbaacchhyy

turbobob said:
Timing control for the 7M is not in the current version. I am pouring over the documentation and am going to add that capability soon.

Bob

Bob,

Once you have that done, am I right in assuming that it will then enable the 7M-GTE to be run without MAF, have boost control, timing control and fuel control !!! :aigo: Sounds like I'll wait a little more and then jump on the bandwagon as well

Whoohoo.

For some of the uneducated ones (me in particular), how would this compare to the HKS VPC (apart from boost and soon to be timing control) ?

Cheers

Michael B

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
bbaacchhyy said:
Bob,

For some of the uneducated ones (me in particular), how would this compare to the HKS VPC (apart from boost and soon to be timing control) ?

Cheers

Michael B

Similar in intent, much more advanced and capable implementation:
Keypad
PC interface
Logging
Wideband tracking
Aux trigger function

Bob
:icon_mrgr

B

bbaacchhyy

turbobob said:
Similar in intent, much more advanced and capable implementation:
Keypad
PC interface
Logging
Wideband tracking
Aux trigger function

Bob
:icon_mrgr

Hmmmm, good.

Can't wait.

BTW, what engines are the IAT and MAP sensor from. Working for GM has to have it's advantages.... :naughty:

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
bbaacchhyy said:
Yannis,

I think you'll find the number of pins are different on the plugs. I was going to do what you thought, but then shelved that idea. The Auto ECU won't give you any problems.

Cheers

Michael B

Michael I'm a bit confused. You said, as other people I asked about it, that the auto ECU will work fine with my manual car. But before that you mention that due to the different number of pins you shelved the idea (language barrier here) which I understand as: you avoided doing so. If I understood right and the auto ecu does work, why did you avoid thid option? Any other compatibility problems?

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
Bob said:
Originally Posted by turbobob
Timing control for the 7M is not in the current version. I am pouring over the documentation and am going to add that capability soon.

Bob

bbaacchhyy said:
Bob,

Once you have that done, am I right in assuming that it will then enable the 7M-GTE to be run without MAF, have boost control, timing control and fuel control !!! :aigo: Sounds like I'll wait a little more and then jump on the bandwagon as well

Whoohoo.

Cheers

Michael B

Do I understand right, but does that mean that the utilization of the map sensor will only be enabled after the timing control function will be added/activated?
Cause up until now I thought that map sensor function would be on regardless of the other additional functions.

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
yannis-supras said:
Do I understand right, but does that mean that the utilization of the map sensor will only be enabled after the timing control function will be added/activated?
Cause up until now I thought that map sensor function would be on regardless of the other additional functions.

MAP sensor is used to calculate fueling and control tuning. It is used for logging boost. It is used for boost control.

Bob

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
hey bob, i called mike todat at FTT and he has no idea what your talking about reguarding the ecu hac sensor mod. i believe i was the very first person to order this unit for the mk3 supra. ami going to have to send in my ecu or should i try to install it first, then see how it runs??

FYI, i have an 89 model

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
malloynx said:
hey bob, i called mike todat at FTT and he has no idea what your talking about reguarding the ecu hac sensor mod. i believe i was the very first person to order this unit for the mk3 supra. ami going to have to send in my ecu or should i try to install it first, then see how it runs??

FYI, i have an 89 model

Yeah, he emailed me. I thought he was watching this thread......

You can just install it and see how it runs. It should run just fine just the way it is unless you drive over large mountains....

You can send the ECU anytime, I'm happy to turn it around quickly.

Bob

B

bbaacchhyy

yannis-supras said:
Michael I'm a bit confused. You said, as other people I asked about it, that the auto ECU will work fine with my manual car. But before that you mention that due to the different number of pins you shelved the idea (language barrier here) which I understand as: you avoided doing so. If I understood right and the auto ecu does work, why did you avoid thid option? Any other compatibility problems?

The auto ECU that I had had a different plug configuration (I think it was 26P 22P 18P) whereas the manual one was 22P 18P 16P and a small flylead, so unless I got a set of plugs to suit the ECU, it was too much hard work, so I resold it on ebay.

Cheers

Michael B

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
well here is an update. i finally got the maftpro in my hands and i'm very lost. there is an ass-load of wires and i have no idea where they go. there is a handy diagram from the GN's and DSM's but the is nothing for the 7m-gte.

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
Hey,

Yup, I've been waiting for your call.

I will have something for you later today.

Thanks!

Bob

But, as a starter:
6-pin plug is for the MAP and IAT sensors, you have a plug-and-play harness for that, so the splice harness will not be used.

The 10-pin harness splices to the ECU/vehicle harness:
Pink - +12 volts
Black - Ground
Blue - TPS
Brown - IAT output
Gray - HAC output
Green - Airflow output
Orange - O2 sensor or wideband
Purple - O2 sensor ground or wideband ground
white - RPM signal

I need to find my Supra docs, and I'll get some wire colors and pin numbers.

Bob

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
thanks bob, i called mike and he is working on it as well.

where does the purple wire go that come off the plug and paly harness? do i even use it?

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
Hey malloynx did you have to register as a commercial company or something with Full Throttle Response in order to put your order? I tried to put mine the other day and there was no checkout option unless I was a comercial company registerd with FTR... :aigo:

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Yannis,
Just call them direct and order it, thats how I did it. I spoke with Mike and after having my questions answered by him (thank you Mike), I asked if I could just order it over the phone and he said yes and took my info. Billing is not applied until they actually ship out the order.

Malloynx, if you could, try to take pictures of your install, so we can add this to the tech section as a sticky! This will help reduce the number of calls to Fullthrottle and would allow them to finish working on the timing monitor and timing control feature for the Supra ;)

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
supralover2000 said:
Yannis,
Just call them direct and order it, thats how I did it. I spoke with Mike and after having my questions answered by him (thank you Mike), I asked if I could just order it over the phone and he said yes and took my info. Billing is not applied until they actually ship out the order.
Only problem is that a phone call from Greece to the u.s. in order to fill out my order would not be my most cost effective option :icon_conf . I'll check and see if there's any way I could put the order on their site.