MA60/MA70 Unsafe??

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
scrolling through toymods.net, this caught my attention right quick

andyroo said:
I was just reading the 2006 vic roads used car safety ratings for crashes..

Supra 82-89 scored a "worse than average"(second worst rating) for protection of occupants in the event of crash, (MR2 scored lowest, "signifigantly worse than average" ) while the harm to pedestrians from supra was "signifigantly more harm than average"... the worst rating. No other sports car got this rating, the only one close was the 350ZX, causing "more harm than average" to pedestrians...

here's the PDF to the buyers guide, scroll down to 18
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/r...0055CA9/0/UsedCarSafetyRatings200648468KB.pdf

I can hardly believe this! Of ALL the wrecks I've read/heard about here on the forums and through yahoo, I've only seen one death attributed, and I believe that was last year. Now I'm sure there have been more, but 9 times out of 10, people in mk2 wrecks have walked away!

Same goes for the tank aka. Mk3

Check this out

p520347_1.jpg

p520347_2.jpg

Two people were in that car, one suffered a broken ankle, that's it. Yeah, what a horribly made car :ugh:

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
ah their rating system broke down on that one... its probably not a good car for protecting OTHER cars passengers or vehicles... but as for the driver of the supra i say if you have on a seatbelt youre gonna be good... its a pretty damn solid car as you can see from the above pictures...its all crushed it but everything is clear as far as the drivers cockpit.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Every time I see stuff like this, I love to tell the story of me getting rear ended on my passenger side, 98 Jetta 0, 87 Supra 1.
Tore the jetta all to shit, he didn't even break my reflectors, made a gash that was about 2 cms deep in my bumper but that was about it.
I was stopped, he was doing about 60mph.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
well I hope I never find out whether tanya is right or not, but why do we care about pedestrian safety, hell some pedestrians would die upon impact from a scooter, FUCK PEDESTRIANS.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Their ratings are skewed, and always have been. They were essentially created to be a sales tool, not an indication of how tough a car is.

A car with an airbag gets a better rating than one without. A car with two airbags gets an even better rating. A car with side impact airbags is close to the top. Whatever they invent next will downgrade all the existing ratings.

This way the sales guy can always point to the newest car and say it has better ratings than the one you already own.

Always be suspicious when there is someone who stands to gain money from the 'facts' that are being presented. Can you safely believe big oil when they talk about global warming being a myth? Can you safely believe Greenpeace when they talk about global warming killing the world next year? Would you take advice from lawyer - if you were trying to sue him? Ask the credit card companies how to pay off your debts? The list is endless.

If you want real information on the crash reliability of the Supras, you would need to find results from an independent lab that was doing actual crash tests and measuring the results rather than interpolating based on crash safety features. I don't think such a thing existed back when these cars were new - hell, I'm not sure it does now!

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
i heard that mk3 were rated unsafe to pedestrians cause of the pop-up lights, they won't skid properly over the hood,cause of the lights.that's also why there isn't a car sold in america with pop-ups anymore.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
marc3 said:
i heard that mk3 were rated unsafe to pedestrians cause of the pop-up lights, they won't skid properly over the hood,cause of the lights.that's also why there isn't a car sold in america with pop-ups anymore.

LOL! I'd rather get into a wreck with a mk2.mk3 any day over any new car. Sorry, don't like the idea of airbags blowing into my face

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
No car with popups being made anywhere i dont think. And yes, its purely because of the pedestrian factor.

As for airbags....never trusted them, and i too would rather not have them. It's why i refuse to buy a car newer than about 1995 when Airbags started becoming mandatory.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Kai said:
No car with popups being made anywhere i dont think. And yes, its purely because of the pedestrian factor.

As for airbags....never trusted them, and i too would rather not have them. It's why i refuse to buy a car newer than about 1995 when Airbags started becoming mandatory.

Talk to a paramedic and then get back to us. In a tank like the sup, it may not be that big a deal, but in smaller cars, it can be your saving grace.

I have a friend that changed out his stock airbag wheel (in an m3) for a momo and our EMT friend lost it. We got a long lecture and many stories from first hand experience.

Avoiding an airbag seems odd to me.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
suprarx7nut said:
Avoiding an airbag seems odd to me.

Right. Just like not wearing a seatbelt is unwise, yet I've heard numerous stories (including one from my uncle) that NOT wearing a belt most likely saved his ass. He was t-boned in a 280zx on the drivers side, and was able to make it over to the pssgr side before the impact. Seeing pix of that wrecked car, I would gather he'd have lost both his legs

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Tanya said:
Right. Just like not wearing a seatbelt is unwise, yet I've heard numerous stories (including one from my uncle) that NOT wearing a belt most likely saved his ass. He was t-boned in a 280zx on the drivers side, and was able to make it over to the pssgr side before the impact. Seeing pix of that wrecked car, I would gather he'd have lost both his legs
True, there are many times when not wearing a seatbelt or not having an airbag may actually save you, and THOSE are the stories you hear. BUT much more often then not you will fare much much better with those than without.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
ChadMKIII said:
BUT much more often then not you will fare much much better with those than without.

Always depends on the accident, how fast, where hit, what car, etc etc. I would NOT want to have been t boned in my 1991 Saturn SL1, as that POS car was made mostly of fiberglass, but I've seen several t-boned mk2s, and the people have made it out ok. Grandma had a 90 something Lexus LS400, she ran a red light and hit a Dodge Ram. Airbag blew up in her face, causing a lot of bruising, my brother in law was in the passengers seat, no belt, (cant remember if their was an airbag on his side, if there was it didnt go off) he hit his head hard on the windshield and had a minor bump.

I would still rather take my chances in a seatbelt in my 25 year old mk2 than MOST of these new cars, but that's just me. Toyota overengineered these cars in most everyway (with the exception of headbolt torque, hah)

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
His injury had alot more potential than grannies did... fuck i would much rather take bruises anyday than have a huge chance of getting really fucked up or nothing at all.