Lynn got in an accident...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
shaeff said:
glad that lynn is ok, that's first and foremost! it could have been much worse.

as for the supra, that sucks, but like i said, it could have been MUCH worse.

-shaeff

loki2043 said:
i like how you said "lynn" got into the accident as in your car, not your fiancee. supras the first love!

Lynn is the name of the Supra. My fiancee's name is Kim. Sorry for the confusing title.

da89soup said:
Glad all is ok!!! She is probibly going to feel horible about the car because she knows how attached you are so go easy on her. The car can be replaced she cant!!! We will all hope for a non total for you...:ugh:

A car is just a car. She's just as attached to it as I am. We've both put a lot of time and work into it. Mostly I'm trying to keep her from being too hard on herself.

Jeff Lange said:
I'm sure it can be fixed. :)

Glad she's okay. Good luck.

Thanks Jeff. It can probably be fixed, but I'm guessing it'll cost more than it's worth. She only had liability insurance on it, no collision. So it isn't covered. :(

Fuzz420 said:
Ive had my tires break like that on an off ramp, scared the bejebus out me. Glad shes ok, but what was the ticket for, reckless driving or something?

I'm guessing the ticket was for reckless driving, but she didn't say. She says she hit an oil patch or something.

I'm going up to Beaverton tomorrow to comfort Kim and I'll probably try to take a look at the damage as well.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Thanks Jeff. It can probably be fixed, but I'm guessing it'll cost more than it's worth. She only had liability insurance on it, no collision. So it isn't covered. :(

Used parts should make it relatively cheap to fix I would think. Just a guess, but for new parts I'd think you'd be looking at the $2400 range for parts, plus paint I guess.

Up to you I guess if you want to have the car back to the way it was, or just write it off, but it might be worth weighing the options between junking the car or parting it out, versus how much you could get for it if it wasn't damaged.

Like my friend who just crashed his MR2, I'm getting him parts relatively cheap, so the parts are going to be like $1500 maybe, plus paint (car needed paint anyways), but he can probably sell the car for $4500 afterwards, versus maybe $800-1000 if he doesn't fix it, meaning, it'd be a waste not to fix it, even if it would write the car off normally.

Just some stuff to think about.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
It's a 1987 Toyota Supra hardtop, non-turbo, 5-speed with almost 204k miles. K&N intake, struts/springs, and CD player. I'm guessing I might get about $2-3k for it fixed up...

Last edited:

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Glad to hear you women is ok,

Sorry to hear about the suppie dont worry things happen for a reason. Maybe its time to garage that one and buy another one and use that one as a parts car.

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
Yep, I'm pretty unhappy about the car - never thought I'd get as attached to her as I have, eh heh. 'Twas funny (in a non-funny sort of way) how badly the Accent was mauled by the rear end of the Supra... one taillight and a dent on the Supra, complete loss of trunk and windshield on the Accent. Supras are tanks! Which would explain why I escaped with only a severely sore back and neck despite how bad the crash actually was... geh, it was a bit scary.

The prognosis on the car doesn't look good as far as repairing it goes... we'll get an estimate on it tomorrow I believe.

(We'd need a garage to put it in even as a parts car, which we don't have yet... =( )

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
supradan22 said:
Glad to hear you women is ok,

Sorry to hear about the suppie dont worry things happen for a reason. Maybe its time to garage that one and buy another one and use that one as a parts car.

Except we don't have a garage right now... We might get a house within a year though.

Last edited:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Car is in Beaverton. I'll be in Corvallis (90 miles away) for about the next three months, then I don't know where I'll be living for the next six months. Kim will be living in Corvallis for five to six months, then will be in Beaverton for the summer. I don't think it'd work out to leave the car outside her parent's house in Beaverton, and I don't want to tow it down to Corvallis. Especially since we're not going to be there very permanently...

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Damn Swaq. I'm sorry to hear that. Atleast the Supra is a tank. If it were a Hyundai, well, we all know what would have been the result. I'm glad to hear Kim is ok. I'm sure you'll recover quickly. Most of the people on here are pretty nice.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
/\ just wash your hands after :icon_razz

Glad to hear everything's alright and no serious damage came of it, human or mechanical.
Get it fixed up!

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I'm in Beaverton now. The repair shop is supposed to call some time this afternoon. I still haven't seen the car in person yet, I'll take pictures when I do. I'm pretty sure her insurance doesn't cover this...

The ticket was for careless driving, which is better than reckless.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Sounds to me like she took a defensive move when she saw a car speeding up behind her. Might be worth appearing in court, b/c the judge will probably at least reduce the fine, if not throw it out.

Overall, it sounds like she should've taken the chance of getting hit in the rear, since that guys insurance would've had to pay for damage to the Sup, but who wants to get hit in the first place? Tough break. :(

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Went to look at the Supra today. The guy there estimated $4-6k to fix it, and the frame is definitely bent. The engine looks to be intact, but we couldn't open the hood for closer inspection.

Pictures attached. I took more pictures but I don't have a very good internet connection right now so I don't want to bother uploading them.

Bottom line is this will probably become a parts car for someone.

Attachments

• IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2197.JPG
    IMG_2197.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 55

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Wow, Justin and Kim, I just now saw this. Im totally fuckin bummed out for you guys! It looks like a lost cause unfortunately but Im really glad to hear that no one was hurt. There have been a rash of these threads popping up lately and everytime I read one it makes me sad.

In the end its only a car and what is really important is that since it is a tank Kim came out OK! If you need anything from me dont hesitate to ask.