Low Oil Light idea!

N

NDBoost

supra90turbo said:
I don't think it's worth the hassle, really. If you check the oil like you should, it's not a problem.
you have to admit it would be pretty bitchin tho ;)

hide with MKIII

Apr 8, 2005
MA
Some domestic cars have oil sensor and tells u how many more miles till you should change ur oil. That would be a plus to have it if it's not too hard to add. wondering how they know when to change the oil though...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
^^^
86.5-89 Supras had an option for the super monitor. This monitor had an oil change interval feature.

Talk about ahead of it's time. In some form or another the supra displayed features that only now are starting to become the norm on modern day cars.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
hide with MKIII said:
Some domestic cars have oil sensor and tells u how many more miles till you should change ur oil. That would be a plus to have it if it's not too hard to add. wondering how they know when to change the oil though...

I think these are based on the Odometer reading and not the oil.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
hide with MKIII said:

The computer calculates several factors to let you know when to change the oil. Different 'high-end' vehicles have the feature. Some give you a % of life left in the oil, others just tell you to change it.

A lot of engine starts, within a mileage range, will tell you at about 3k miles. If you are a commuter, you can go to about 5k-7k before it tells you.

After the oil change, you must follow a certain proceedure to turn off the dialog, and reset the computer. We have a book that tells us what to do.

Also....back in the 70's, Toyota had an "ESP" system that monitored things like oil level, coolant, and brakes. There was a sensor in the side of the oil pan that worked like mentioned above(oil completes the circuit).

Perhaps you could get the sensor from Toyota and mount it to your oil pan.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
I don't remember all the details any more, but the overseas 90+(?) MKIII's did have a oil pan with a float sensor. I posted pictures and running oil heights etc about it on Supraforums a way back.

I believe the float sensor is identical to the North American 1991 MR2 units. It works by having a magnet in the float, and a reed switch in the bracket that makes the connection once oil drops too low. I bought a comlete oil pan/sensor from Arnout a while back, and he said he had few more available.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
blackout_89t said:
The 7M is so damn touchy by the time that sensor came on you would have rod knock already :1zhelp: :aigo:
Nailed it in one!

Good idea but things like this tend to make you complacent and give you a false sense of security.

Better to be paranoid and check regularly than risk loosing a motor to the little 7M man inside the pan with a hammer! ;)

Usually by the time a light/buzzer/shock to the testicles happens it's too late...

N

NDBoost

Shawndude said:
I don't remember all the details any more, but the overseas 90+(?) MKIII's did have a oil pan with a float sensor. I posted pictures and running oil heights etc about it on Supraforums a way back.

I believe the float sensor is identical to the North American 1991 MR2 units. It works by having a magnet in the float, and a reed switch in the bracket that makes the connection once oil drops too low. I bought a comlete oil pan/sensor from Arnout a while back, and he said he had few more available.
this is very good info, ill checkout the toyota mr2 forums and see what they say.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
blackout_89t said:
The 7M is so damn touchy by the time that sensor came on you would have rod knock already :1zhelp: :aigo:

Not at all, this isn't a low pressure light.

When the light comes on, you still have enough oil to pull 1G forces on the car, without uncovering the oil pick up.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Good info Shawn! (anything less just wouldn't be right coming from you....)
Take your idea of the factory low level sensor/light Shawn, and couple it with Ian's testicle shock warning feature and I think that we'll be sure to never get rodknock again! :icon_lol:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
^^ True we may never have rod knock again, but with testicle shock, we wouldn't be having any children either....

Wait,...... maybe this is a good thing.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
The Supermonitor alerts you if you need to change your oil. I say if you want a "warning", install a Supermonitor in your car. Plus, it's text reading instead of a light.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
The Supermonitor alerts you if you need to change your oil. I say if you want a "warning", install a Supermonitor in your car. Plus, it's text reading instead of a light.

Yea but it just tells you every 3000 miles. Its a reminder to do your routine oil change. It would not know you were running low on oil.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i check my oil every time i drive the car, sometimes twice. also, when i pulled my motor apart to check everything out, i lowered the pickup further into the pan. :)

-shaeff

N

NDBoost

shaeff said:
i check my oil every time i drive the car, sometimes twice. also, when i pulled my motor apart to check everything out, i lowered the pickup further into the pan. :)

-shaeff
i check my oil everyday or at least once every two days. but it wouldn't hurt to have that extra bit of security in case something decides to happen after you already checked the oil.

ATS_Scott

Feb 16, 2006
Corinth, TX
FYI the MK2 MR2 turbo has an oil level light, basically the light comes on if your approx. 1 quart low. The sensor is a float-type and is very fragile. They are also a little pricey, but if you forget to check your oil it might save you a motor...

N

NDBoost

ATS_Scott said:
FYI the MK2 MR2 turbo has an oil level light, basically the light comes on if your approx. 1 quart low. The sensor is a float-type and is very fragile. They are also a little pricey, but if you forget to check your oil it might save you a motor...
interesting know any part #'s?